Sign in to follow this  
Riverman1

Battery

Went out Sunday morning to Douglas after unloading the boat the motor wouldn't do anything. After alot of cussing I realized my battery was shot. Now I need a new one and was wondering what brand to go with. Was thinking about interstate

Depends on what you're looking for..... regular lead-acid wet cell, AGM, li-ion?? For just a general cranking battery, make sure you have enough cranking amps & reserve capacity to crank your motor after a 10-12 hr day of running lights, graphs & pumps. I'm not a fan of interstate or dekka, but just due to previous experience. May be a better battery these days.

Don't deka make the Duracell batteries? I a pair of them I ran on the old boat for over a year without an issue. But seriously if I was to buy now...probably optima blue tops all the way....

Also, if you run a newer Merc, pro xs line anyway, be conscientious of how much cranking amps the motor requires. Its over 800 CCA just for the powerhead to crank. Add graphs, lights, pumps, etc & your amperage requirements are up above 1000 CCA. When I first got my boat, if I fished more than 6 hrs, I had to use booster cables to crank from my trolling batteries. Come to find out, my battery only had 700 CCA. I bought a Sears DieHard group 31 PM-1(1250 CCA) & have fished 12 hrs overnight & she cranked like a champ. My point is, be aware of your rig's requirements AND get the battery with the highest reserve capacity you can find. Reserve capacity is what is left "in storage" when your battery is at a discharged state. Basically, it is what gets you home when you've exhausted your battery's basic capacity.

• Like 1

I switch to the AGM battery for cranking. I still run the lead acid batteries for trolling. I had problems getting it started at night after long spells of fishing too. Had to jump it several times even when running a new battery. So far so good. Switched last spring. Like Andy said, make sure your battery has enough CCA.

Seems with so many electronics and lights and crap nowadays, it's almost worth running dual cranking batteries. As for what brand, there are only a few manufacturers of all of the different brands. Anything made by Johnson Controls seems to be good IMO, Optima of course being the top of the line.