Sign in to follow this  

Welp, I fully intended on going fishing today. My plan was to buckle down and learn to fish offshore. I'd decided to get some marker buoys and drive around looking at structure until I graphed some good looking fish on structure mark it and fish it until I figured this derned offshore thing out. So I go to Wal-Mart last night to pick up some buoys and they don't carry them anymore. Last time I went looking for tungsten worm weights, they don't carry them either. Also, last time I went fishing with Pop's I went to go to Wal-Mart so he could pick up a few things he'd forgot and guess what? They're not open 24 hours anymore. Oh they carry 3-4 different kinds of Machetes, collapsible "fishing trays" for equipment, tents, compound bows ect, but no buoys of tungsten sinkers, smdh. Ok rant over. In all serious any tips otr advice on this structure fishing thing?

Also, thank God I didn't go, what with all this rain we're getting right now.....

First......Find a different Wally World....most are open 24 hours and carry the basic stuff.

Second....That deep water has me baffled too.

• Like 1

Get a trolling motor with spot lock lol. I couldn't give you any tips. Haven't figured out off shore myself. Good luck to you though!

• Like 1

Theres nothing to it. Just fish points near channel swings & breaks & you will do fine. When you mark fish, note whitch side has more, if they are on the deep side, they probably aren't active. The active fish will usually be on the break or on the shallower side. Unless you have alot of bait over the deeper water, then all bets are off.

• Like 1

Surprised that Walmart didn't have buoys. About all of em do. I myself ain't done great on offshore. It's definitely an art form. Few guys on here have mastered it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Surprised that Walmart didn't have buoys. About all of em do. I myself ain't done great on offshore. It's definitely an art form. Few guys on here have mastered it. 

Dude none of them in Knoxville had them, none. Ended up having to go to Academy.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:49 AM, TheBassWhisperer said:

Dude none of them in Knoxville had them, none. Ended up having to go to Academy.

Academy is a lot better place to shop anyhow

• Like 1

I learned how to fish off shore back about 6 or 8 years into my bass fishing experience by an older gentleman that offered to take me fishing that lived just down the road from me. We took his old V-hull aluminum boat with a 20 horse tiller steer motor on. We were fishing Old Hickory lake and the boat had no graph what so every on it. He fished with all spinning gear and his baits of choice was t-rigged soft plastics, worms and lizards mostly but he also fished small finesse jigs with zoom small swiming chunks. First thing he would do is look at the main channel markers to see if there was any current. There was a small amount of current moving past the markers so he digs out a topo map and picks the spot he wants to start and pulls the rope and the motor fires right up and up river we go. When we get where he planned to fish he shows me how the river current will be pushing bait fish up against the outside curve and the ledges(Contours) we would be fishing. We where sitting in 30 foot of water throwing up in 5 foot of water and walking our baits down the ledges. No trolling motor but a really serious anchor to hold the boat in place.

It took me about 2 hours to learn how he was doing it and he had already caught about 5 nice fish with one about 4 lbs. I finally caught one about 3 lbs on a jig with an Uncle josh eel trailer on it. As the current changed we would change locations according the how it changed. Only one time did his boat ever anchor closer than 30 yards off a bank and that was when the creek channel swung in close to the bank and we only caught 3 small fish there. All in all that day I think we caught about 30+ bass in assorted sizes but in the mix was several in the 5 to 7 lb range. During the day he kept 8 fish. 2 flat head cats, 3 Saugers and 3 Walleye. I asked him why he didn't keep any bass since I thought he was a meat angler and he said bass taste nasty and have a really fishy taste to them. As I began fishing out of my own boat which of course did have all of the lastest electronics on it I began focusing more and more on my off shore fishing. The more I fished off shore the better I became until I reached a point that the only time I fished shallow water was in the Spring of the year when I was forced to because the bass are all shallow. I taught my son in law (Tommy) how to fish off shore and he spends about half the time of shore fishing. Now that he has added that new Helix9 to the Skeeter and can now locate a lot more off shore structure I am guessing he will spend even more time fishing off shore.

I think over the years as bass have become more pressured they have learned to spend more time off shore than they did probably 40+ years ago..........JMHO 

• Like 1

Softy and Brwnbass both offer some sound, sage advice.  Like any other style, it takes time to learn how to sync up map, what you're seeing on sonar, bait, and presentation.  Practice, practice, practice.

I use buoys religiously if I'm fishing offshore structure.  My failures usually come at the end of those outings - you gotta remember to pick the dang things up!  Just sayin' . . .

If this becomes something you end up doing a lot, the investment in the spot-lock technology is a must.  It eliminates all of the guesswork and margins for error and optimizes your time on the target area.  This gizmo is a game-changer for offshore fishermen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

If this becomes something you end up doing a lot, the investment in the spot-lock technology is a must.  It eliminates all of the guesswork and margins for error and optimizes your time on the target area.  This gizmo is a game-changer for offshore fishermen.

You just had to go there. I add one to my shopping cart every week...... then log off before I spend 2700.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

You just had to go there. I add one to my shopping cart every week...... then log off before I spend 2700.

Electronic gadgets don't catch fish!!!!! Baits catch fish!!!! buy more baits............ROFLMAO

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm super stoked to get out and try it again. It's funny because I don't think 20 something me would enjoy this as much as 30 something me is, hahahaha

On 7/6/2017 at 0:22 PM, softbaitmaker said:

Electronic gadgets don't catch fish!!!!! Baits catch fish!!!! buy more baits............ROFLMAO

Do you know where I can find some good un's????:ph34r:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Do you know where I can find some good un's????:ph34r:

I just happen to know a guy that knows a guy that said he knew a guy that someone told him made great baits!!!!!!!.............B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

who dat, doug???

Some old gouchy fart that lives in Gallatin Tennessee area...............B)