Sign in to follow this  
sputterbuzz

Stratos Boats (A Sad Day)

I guess you all are aware by now that the stratos boat line will be going away.  I'm sure some company will buy them and continue to produce them (maybe), but when I sat back and thought about the quality brand and good price point boat that Stratos has been over the years I am a little saddened.  I have had 5 tournament bass boats in my life, 3 stratos, one triton and now a skeeter.  I love my skeeter but started out in a stratos so it holds a special place in my life lol.  With Ranger releasing their icon boat at base model price of $98,995 I'm not sure I'll be able to ever afford another bass boat anyway.

Sorry to hear that Stratos is going away but they have been bounced around along with Triton for the last several years since OMC went bankrupt back in the late 90's and have never made it back to where it once was.

I for one don't understand the price of bass boats. Perhaps I am just a cheap butt, but I can't justify spending more money on the boat than the truck I have to pull it with. I was shocked at the price of a new fiberglass boat when I was in the market over a year ago. I do wish now I have upgraded my Tracker to the 195 model but heck I am just a penny pincher.

I still feel my heart hum when I see a Javelin in excellent show room condition. I have a buddy that is a huge Stratos guy, I am sure he is not very happy.

11 hours ago, Karma said:

I for one don't understand the price of bass boats. Perhaps I am just a cheap butt, but I can't justify spending more money on the boat than the truck I have to pull it with. I was shocked at the price of a new fiberglass boat when I was in the market over a year ago. I do wish now I have upgraded my Tracker to the 195 model but heck I am just a penny pincher.

I still feel my heart hum when I see a Javelin in excellent show room condition. I have a buddy that is a huge Stratos guy, I am sure he is not very happy.

I remember when Bass boats were affordable for about everyone that wanted one and I have owned about 4 new ones over the years. I quit buying new boats back in 1998 and paid to much and knew it would be my last new boat. I can't see paying what folks are paying for new boats and then boat companies wonder why they are having trouble staying in business. A boat is a luxury any way you look at it and when you don't finance a boat but take out a mortgage on one that is just rediculous. Ranger and Skeeter last time I looked were financing at 15 years. The last 3 homes I bought I had 15 year mortgages on so I guess that is where boats have gone. It will only drive the price of used boats up to more than they are worth but will still be more affordable for the weekend anglers.................jmho

Insane pricing is why the kayak craze is booming. Hate to see stratos go, if it does. Well made boats. Hard for quality to compete with these cheap, fly off the line boats

I googled Stratos news and didn't see anything that looked like an announcement like y'all are referring to.  Whud I miss?

Got link?

Edited by 31Airborne

5 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Insane pricing is why the kayak craze is booming. Hate to see stratos go, if it does. Well made boats. Hard for quality to compete with these cheap, fly off the line boats

Some of those kayaks are ridiculously over priced as well. A Jackson or Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayak will cost you well over a thousand bucks for the better models closer to the two thousand dollar range.... its just a piece of molded plastic.

I just bought my first kayak over my vacation last week. I ordered it online from Vibe, its the Sea Ghost 110. They get knocked because they are made in China but they have the more features than most kayaks straight out of the box for less than a grand shipped to your door. Rudder upgrade kits cost $200+ on Jacksons, mine came with one already installed. I love America as much as the next guy but I am not dropping an extra grand just because the plastic boat was molded in America.

ttBdpKR.jpgtnI8eoc.jpg

8isSTvd.jpg

f9fkRCX.jpg

Edited by Karma

@Karma  while I don't disagree with you on the point that kayaks are expensive for what they are, the average man can far more easily afford to spend $2k on a rigged out yak, than $25k+ just to get started in the bass boat world (for brand new anyways). Massive difference in the amount of money involved. 

12 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

@Karma  while I don't disagree with you on the point that kayaks are expensive for what they are, the average man can far more easily afford to spend $2k on a rigged out yak, than $25k+ just to get started in the bass boat world (for brand new anyways). Massive difference in the amount of money involved. 

oh I totally get that but still to me spending 2k on a piece of plastic is over the top. They even have some with trolling motor drives underneath for upwards of $4k. :blink:

I like fishing out of a canoe better than a kayak, got my canoe for $300 ten years ago and I have put it through the ringer including Class 3 whitewater and it still doesn't leak a drop (riveted aluminum). Even got it stuck in devils jump on the big south fork and it lived to tell about it 

I have considered a kayak just to fish smaller places that I can't get the skeeter to but with as little time as I have anymore it probably would just sit in the garage. 

I would bet there will be a boat brand pop up that will capture the market (10%) of the total sales for ranger stratos and triton that the dissolving of stratos leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if falcon doesn't pick up some of that market. Those guys used to work for Stratos and from what I hear make a nice boat in the Falcon. I know they do quality fiberglass work and are great guys. 

1 minute ago, sputterbuzz said:

I have considered a kayak just to fish smaller places that I can't get the skeeter to but with as little time as I have anymore it probably would just sit in the garage.

That is exactly what I bought mine for. We have some backwater rivers/streams down here in Jackson County that are great for small mouth. You cant reach them by shore, due to them being on other people's property or bass boat due to the depth changes, but you can kayak and canoe them. I am looking forward to it.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, 31Airborne said:

I googled Stratos news and didn't see anything that looked like an announcement like y'all are referring to.  Whud I miss?

Got link?

Im with Airborne....still cant find any solid info on this......

17 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I like fishing out of a canoe better than a kayak, got my canoe for $300 ten years ago and I have put it through the ringer including Class 3 whitewater and it still doesn't leak a drop (riveted aluminum). Even got it stuck in devils jump on the big south fork and it lived to tell about it 

I actually argued with Eric about that one awhile, because I was thinking the same as you, I'd like a canoe better, but then he showed me the Nucanoe Frontier 12 and man that thing is sharp. You could carry a tackle store on it. 

Be curious to hear how the stability is on that vibe Karma. Some of these newer fishing yaks you can stand with all your weight on the gunwale and not dump em.

12 hours ago, NobbyNobbs said:

Be curious to hear how the stability is on that vibe Karma. Some of these newer fishing yaks you can stand with all your weight on the gunwale and not dump em.

Take in mind that I have never been in a kayak before so I have not built up enough confidence to attempt standing up. I have seen others do it in youtube videos and read about others doing it on line. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, Karma said:

Take in mind that I have never been in a kayak before so I have not built up enough confidence to attempt standing up. I have seen others do it in youtube videos and read about others doing it on line. 

Heck, stand up in it karma, Make sure you have a vest on!!!! all you can do is get wet and I don't think your sweet enough to melt...............ROFLMAO

46 minutes ago, softbaitmaker said:

Heck, stand up in it karma, Make sure you have a vest on!!!! all you can do is get wet and I don't think your sweet enough to melt...............ROFLMAO

Get wet and lose 100's of dollars of equipment....Some stuff floats, other stuff sinks to the bottom....not that I have ever had it happen?

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Get wet and lose 100's of dollars of equipment....Some stuff floats, other stuff sinks to the bottom....not that I have ever had it happen?

I'm betting he would fall off before the YAK flipped..................:ph34r:

well as in the one photo up there shows, I made a milk crate container on the back that has a rod holder, with straps and the lid locks on it so my plano boxes will not get spilt if I flip and I won't lose my rods.