Sign in to follow this  
Lunkerhunter73

Hydrowave 2

Depends on what you hope to accomplish with it. I have one. I use it regularly. But not for it's intended purpose. I've noticed that shad & bait don't get spooked as easily with it on. Does it stimulate fish feeding activity? I dunno bout all that, but to me, it covers some of the trolling motor noise, and that's what I'm after. If you're hoping to gain a magical edge that will call fish up & have em jumping in the boat, I think you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1

My partner has one on his sled.  He swears by it, claims it def helps w/ catching.  After reading Mountainman's reply it got me to thinking - I'm wondering if my partner's successes are more a function of covering up TM (and other) noise vc turning the fish into a feeding mode.  Seems reasonable to assume if you can eliminate a stressor (unnatural background noise in this case) the fish are more likely to react naturally when a bait comes by.  There's a body of evidence (mostly anecdotal) that suggests motor noise of any kind kinda shuts the fish down.  They've become conditioned to the fact rude things (like violent hooksets) occur when these funky motor noises are present.  If you can mask a portion of that unnatural background noise it oughta help.

MM's closing point is the most powerful - no gizmo (except perhaps your electronix) will turn a fishing day into a catching day.  You still have to sort thru all the variables and put together something that'll work.  Personally, I'll take an hour's worth of TOW over a gizmo any day. 

They make a Hydrowave mini. Cheaper with fewer sounds but would probably work just as well to mask TM noise. 

Off topic but has anyone used the Livingston lures that make the bait fish sounds? Same concept I'm guessing?

I have used the Livingston Lures crankbaits some.  Not enuff to offer an informed opinion but I've thrown them a bit.  Frankly, I catch more fish on my silent and traditional (rattling) crankbaits than I do w/ LLs.  I'm not too keen on the LL color schemes.  Lots of glitter in all shapes and colors.  Some of their paint jobs are ~realistic but not across the board.  The Bomber FF Shad crankbait colors are way more realistic and half the price.  My thoughts on gizmos above apply here.

I have one and run it a lot certain times of the year... and everyone knows by my reputation the kind of fish I catch! 

On a serious note, I don't think it hurts in most situations. I've seen baitfish get active a few times I cut it on after forgetting but that's not always the case. 

I agree about the Livingston Lure crankbaits. 

On the other hand, I've caught more fish with their white spook with the ebs than I have any other spook. I think that actually makes sense though. A crankbait moving along the bottom making those sounds probably doesn't seem natural to them... However a white spook with erratic stop and go movement on the surface with those sounds probably does.

Edited by Karma