Huntandfish

Trollig Motor and fish finders

Hello all and I'll start off by saying this is my first post so I apologize if it's a repeat or something similar you've seen before.

Secondly, this is also my first boat.  It's nothing fancy, 17' 6" pro craft bass.  The hull, carpet and seats are in perfect shape.

My problem is, it has no fish finders and no trolling motor currently on it.  I have a minnkota fortrex 80 to put on it, and a 1159 humminbird as well as a lowrance hook 5.

The thing is, I can't locate the wiring from the previous units.  How hard is it to do this?  As far as running new wiring from the front to the back?

Thanks!

The best investment you can get to run that wiring is a fishtape. You start at the bow and run it through the hull back to the back of the boat. Then hook or tape your wires onto it and pull them back through the hull to the front. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bronzebackhuntr said:

The best investment you can get to run that wiring is a fishtape. You start at the bow and run it through the hull back to the back of the boat. Then hook or tape your wires onto it and pull them back through the hull to the front. 

Thanks buddy!  I guess I'll have to get that at a marine dealer?

1 hour ago, Huntandfish said:

Negative. Lowe's or maybe Wal-Mart has them. It's called a fish tape, but has nothing to do with fishing or boats. It's just a spool of a stiffer wire used to help pull wire through tight spaces.

I use a straightened out coat hanger and tape the wires to the end. Put a flashlight on where you want wires to do and fish the coat hanger with your wires toward the light. Works decent for straight shots that you can't reach with your hand/arm length. Fish tape is easier to deal with tho especially in the tighter curvy spaces. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing you bought a used boat so just a few questions?  1 being did the boat ever have a trolling motor? If so the wires may still be in place in the boat and you just need to find them. Most people don't take all the wiring out of a boat when they removed a unit. They just take the necessary wiring and leave the rest. That goes for electronics like fish finders and other electronics. I have owned several used boats over the years and never had to pull wire for Trolling motor and most times for electronics either!    Just a thought but might want to check and see if the wiring may still be hid and still there..........JMHO

I know you said you looked but many times it's there and just hid!!! If it is really gone any of the ideas above will work well for you.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peck said:

Negative. Lowe's or maybe Wal-Mart has them. It's called a fish tape, but has nothing to do with fishing or boats. It's just a spool of a stiffer wire used to help pull wire through tight spaces.

I use a straightened out coat hanger and tape the wires to the end. Put a flashlight on where you want wires to do and fish the coat hanger with your wires toward the light. Works decent for straight shots that you can't reach with your hand/arm length. Fish tape is easier to deal with tho especially in the tighter curvy spaces. 

Ahhh I see, thanks.  My neighbor had a fish tape so that saves me a trip!!

50 minutes ago, softbaitmaker said:

I'm guessing you bought a used boat so just a few questions?  1 being did the boat ever have a trolling motor? If so the wires may still be in place in the boat and you just need to find them. Most people don't take all the wiring out of a boat when they removed a unit. They just take the necessary wiring and leave the rest. That goes for electronics like fish finders and other electronics. I have owned several used boats over the years and never had to pull wire for Trolling motor and most times for electronics either!    Just a thought but might want to check and see if the wiring may still be hid and still there..........JMHO

I know you said you looked but many times it's there and just hid!!! If it is really gone any of the ideas above will work well for you.

Thanks!  Well the only wires I have found go to a 2 prong plug (I assumed it was used for the old motor guide trolling motor that was on it) so I was thinking if I could get a female 2 prong plug to use for the minnkota I could go that route.  As for the fish finder, i know it had one up there but I can't find any evidence of left over wire for it.  I searched around the batteries too for wire that may have went up to it but have failed to find any.

11 minutes ago, Huntandfish said:

He also said the old trolling motor was a 12 volt where this one is a 24....

Yeah, in that case, even if you did find the wires, there's a good chance that they would be too small. Make sure you put a breaker or a fuse where it's easily accessible near the back of the boat inline on those wires too

2 hours ago, bronzebackhuntr said:

Yeah, in that case, even if you did find the wires, there's a good chance that they would be too small. Make sure you put a breaker or a fuse where it's easily accessible near the back of the boat inline on those wires too

+1 on the wires to small but would sure make it easier to bring your new heavier wires to the front from the back. Just tape your heavy wires together to the smaller wires and use them them pull the big wires your going to use. Much easier than the fish tape......lol. As far as the fuses 100% agree but I don't use fuses in my Skeeter. Right back in the TM battery area I put in auto reset circuit breakers and if you over load the TM by running on high to long of running in matted weeds and Breaker pops I just let it set about 30 seconds and it self loads without needed to go back and reset anything or replace a fuse to be back trolling again. They make them in 30amp 40 amp and 50 amp and I run the 50 amp and even have back ups of those in the boat because they will also blow as they age but normally good for 4-5 years anyway. You can find them at NAPA auto part stores.

Edited by softbaitmaker

11 hours ago, Huntandfish said:

Harbor Freight. Fish tape works as well as any of em, for less money. 

Thanks y'all.  My neighbor had a very similar boat and was familiar with the layout.  Hopefully we'll get a chance to work on it in the next week or so and I'll come back with a progress report!!  I'm always open for ideas and suggestions!

Thanks again!