Sign in to follow this  
31Airborne

ALX rods

Our good friend Toobjig signed on as a rep for this small SC outfit.  I took a peak at their website and decided to give one a try.  I bought their Crank model - it's a 7-4 MED/MOD crankin' stick designed for shallow and medium runners.  Here are a few observations right out of the box:

1)  The attention to detail in the finish and craftsmanship is immaculate. It is every bit as fine as my top end Loomises.  Maybe better.  2)  The components are first rate - micro guides, love their split-grip handle, and the blank is lite but sturdy.  3)  This thing is balanced to a tee.  Very little effort to manage the rig once the reel was mounted.  4)  Nothing flashy or gaudy in the finish.  As advertised, it's a quality rod built for fishing, not showing.  5)  I ordered my rod on a TUES.  It arrived on THUR.  That's service.

If you're in the market for a rod check'em out.  Give Toobie a shout if you have questions. I'm headed out this weekend - will follow up w/ a performance report.

B

Edited by 31Airborne

I'm glad you like the Crank!     i'm on the road a lot and was just thinking I should check to see if it arrived yet.

Hope you catch many many fish with it.   Thank you.

A little late on the report - sorry, doods.

BLUF:  Love this rod.  Light weight, easy to manage, casts a 2" medium runner a loooooooooooong way.  Tip has the right balance of give and sensitivity.  The butt end is stout, strong enough for any fish.  The micro guides are a big part of casting distance - virtually no line slap.  You'll have to think thru leader material and length if you use a combination line system on your cranking set-up.  The uni-uni (or whatever joining knot you use) has a tuff time getting thru the tip and first few guides.  I had my reel spooled w/ 12# fluoro.

The web site recommends smaller profile lures for this rod.  I threw 2" and 2 1/2" baits to start with, all of them for running depths between 4 and 12'.  I also played around with deeper divers, just to see how the rod responded when something w/ a big body and bill was tied on.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the rod performed in these cases.  I used baits w/ running depths from 16 to 20+' without issue.  I didn't make a lot of casts but I made enough to know that it won't wear me out if I elect to use it for deep divers all day.

Holler at me if you have specific questions.  Give Toobie a call if you're interested.

Edited by 31Airborne

Thanks Brian!

I do need to get out more!!  Some of you may know that my wife and I own a manufacturers sales rep agency.  Mostly archery. We rep G5, Prime, Quest, and Spot Hogg. Do a few knife lines too.

We usually shy away from working with fishing lines. Because we like to fish and there's a bit of conflict.  But this line of rods is the exception. We only work with people that market top quality products. ALX Rods are as good quality as any out there. 

ALXrods.com or stop by Watsons and take a look.  

I would be happy to check them out....I cant get away from work early enough. Reckon Rex would mine staying out there til about 23:00??