Sign in to follow this  
Ned Rig

Been researching lots of finesse fishing techniques over the summer and this one is raising my eyebrow...

It is supposedly a real numbers catcher, but the quality of the fish vary and you can also catch panfish on it as well. I have watched several videos online, some people claiming that you need to buy the mushroom head jigs and the zman baits designed for it etc etc and then there are the guys I have seen that are just using a regular old panfish style jig head and half of a senko. With that in mind, looking at the rig, I cant help but wonder what the real difference is between this set up and larger curly tail grub rig? It seems that you could can get the same action/effect out of a ned rig that you could one of the larger curly tail jigs....

Anyone fish this that can shed some light on my question?

It darts around a lot different that a curl tail grub. Also when it's cold you can hold it still (geographically) and make it stand up and wiggle. All that to say I catch a whole lot more on a curl tail grub than a ned rig but I'm getting a little better at it. Works good on a screw lock shakey head too

Ideally, you want a buoyant plastic bait on the head so it'll stand up straight.  A salt impregnated bait (like a senko) will fall over.

The flat head helps keep the bait vertical, allegedly easier for the fish to see.  Doesn't have to be the Z-man heads (even tho' they'd like you to think that).  Spot remover heads have a flat bottom and stand up nicely.  Since the Ned rig is usually a lightweight set-up you won't have any real issues using a regular ol' round shakyhead.

People said the same thing about the dropshot rig - only produces smaller fish (my best tournament fish [7-11] was caught on a dropshot rigged w/ a 4" minnow bait).  Ditto for shakyhead and other finesse presentations - they catch numbers and occasionally big fish.  Same-same for the damiki rig.  The  missing piece to this equation is location - if you're presenting a finesse rig in places where bigger fish hang out the chances are you'll catch one or two.  If you're presenting it in places where the punks hang out that's what you're gonna catch.  To that end, I put more emphasis on where I'm throwing my Ned rig vc what I'm putting on it or which head I'm using.  Just a thought.

My Baits float really well and might work good on this rig for those of you that have not tried my baits already. I have never thrown one of these rigs but if a floating bait is the secret, I make them in many different styles.

http://tnbassfishing.com/topic/49371-softbaitmakers-hand-poured-baits/

9 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

My Baits float really well and might work good on this rig for those of you that have not tried my baits already. I have never thrown one of these rigs but if a floating bait is the secret, I make them in many different styles.

http://tnbassfishing.com/topic/49371-softbaitmakers-hand-poured-baits/

I have caught fish with these baits on a ned rig. the paddle tail end of the  producto worm and any section of a trick worm has been good so far but more experimenting to come

• Like 1

I have been watching videos of it online underwater. I guess its kind of like a mini shaky head of sorts as @31Airborne mentioned.

Since the clear waters of Dale Hollow can put up a bit of a challenge and get frustrating at times, I thought this set up may be a good approach. I am going to give it a try this coming weekend. I have my cousin coming in town from Georgia and on top of being a Dawgs fan, he is an awful fisherman. I gotta find a way for him to be able to catch something other than a dang bluegill. I am pretty sure I can at least get him to catch a few smallies creek fishing a Texas rigged river bug. He is 30 and still has me tie lures on for him...

Anyway, this seems like it may do the trick if he can have the patience to work it correctly.

I wish someone would post a picture of a Ned Rig so I can get some kind of idea what folks are talking about? ...................:huh: 

21 minutes ago, trackertxw175 said:

Here's the mushroom head they use, 1/10, 1/5, 1/6

13092.jpeg

Thanks Ross, by the way folks were talking I was guessing it was nothing more than a fancy Spot Remover Jig head and or Shakey Head rig and I was pretty close in my thoughts. Most of my smaller baits will work great with that jig head as they do on Shakey Heads and Spot Removers. Thanks again for posting the bait heads& hooks....:cheers:

5 minutes ago, whj812 said:

basslog20150119a_2.png

Thanks Wes, I guess it is like I mentioned in post to Ross's picture. It's not something I would fish but I guess a lot of folks are using it. I do use my Stick baits on Spot Removers or Football heads which do produce well but my approach to bass fishing is not like most folks. I am a firm believer that a baits action is about 80% of what catches fish and baits such as worms with great tail actions catch a great many fish. My idol Paul Elias told me one day while we were fishing on Old Hickory while he was practicing for up coming event that more "Bass fall prey to a soft plastic worm each day than any other bait on the market" and I have proven that a lot of times.................  :cheers:

1 hour ago, BassinHomer said:

So it's essentially a shaky head not was well endowed.... 

Basically a fancy one but about the same thing. A small football head jig will stand up about as good probably with a good soft floating bait...............JMHO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BassinHomer said:

Yes and no. It's more of a beeefed up tightline than it is a downsized shakey head. Some guys fish the heavier weight, but the most effective way to fish it (that I've found) is small weight (1/8 or 1/16) and fish it like a tightline. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 4:35 PM, BassinHomer said:

It is also known as the turd rig.... :D

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, bronzebackhuntr said:

Yes and no. It's more of a beeefed up tightline than it is a downsized shakey head. Some guys fish the heavier weight, but the most effective way to fish it (that I've found) is small weight (1/8 or 1/16) and fish it like a tightline. 

Well I've not even attempted tight lining yet.

I bet these baits would be a killer on that Ned Rig. Where does it read that a small creature bait would not work on them? For those of ya'll that don't know it the Scalpins on the left in the picture are native is every lake in Tennessee and if you don't believe me you can research it. My Son In Law has been catching smallmouths on Percy Priest lake since I began making them and some Spotted bass also. He is fishing them on a 1/8th football head with a bait keeper on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mottled_sculpin

007.JPG

Well they stole my idea. I have been throwing the tail of a senko on a spot remover head for  8 yrs or longer. It is good on cold water smallmouth & spots. Strike king used to make a bait like a senko, but it was made of elaztech, real stretchy & buoyant like the z man junk. You could fish 1 worm all day. 

17 hours ago, brwnbass said:

Well they stole my idea. I have been throwing the tail of a senko on a spot remover head for  8 yrs or longer. It is good on cold water smallmouth & spots. Strike king used to make a bait like a senko, but it was made of elaztech, real stretchy & buoyant like the z man junk. You could fish 1 worm all day. 

I remember that junk they made. If you took it off the hook and pitched it on the boat carpet it would melt into the carpet!!! I know a couple guys that had that happen to them.

17 hours ago, brwnbass said:

I still have some of those somewhere. 3x or something like that

Yea thats it. I would cut it down to about 2" & put it on a spot remover head. It was one of those last resort type things to try & get a bite. It is a pain in the azz to get it screwed on that keeper, but it won't come off for nothing when you do. Only time i have EVER caught fish on that junk too, and i had a bunch of it. Worms, senkos, grubs & flukes. Can't remember ever catching anything on it, except the " ned rigged " stuff.