Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Deer cartridge

What’s everyone’s favorite rifle cartridge for deer hunting around the area? Just curious 

Depends on where I'm hunting. For thickets & brush, you cant go wrong with a 30-30 and a 3-9X40 Nikon with see thru mounts. For any open but wooded areas, I prefer a flatter shooting round with a lil more downrange energy.....270 or .308 with a good glass. Nikon, Burris, etc....6-12X50 or so. Hard to beat a .30-06, but everybody carries a .30-06. Its a powerful round, just shoots a bit more of a rainbow than I like.  Theres lots of great rounds out there for thin skinned light game, like whitetail. Key things to remember are match your ballistics to the range you will be shooting AND you can kill one with a well placed .22 mag round....its all about shot placement.

1 hour ago, Mountainman said:

Depends on where I'm hunting. For thickets & brush, you cant go wrong with a 30-30 and a 3-9X40 Nikon with see thru mounts. For any open but wooded areas, I prefer a flatter shooting round with a lil more downrange energy.....270 or .308 with a good glass. Nikon, Burris, etc....6-12X50 or so. Hard to beat a .30-06, but everybody carries a .30-06. Its a powerful round, just shoots a bit more of a rainbow than I like.  Theres lots of great rounds out there for thin skinned light game, like whitetail. Key things to remember are match your ballistics to the range you will be shooting AND you can kill one with a well placed .22 mag round....its all about shot placement.

+1 To What Andy said- I've used the trusty 30-30 to harvest several deer. I've since gone to a 30-06 in 155 grain to harvest the last few.

Hunted with a 30/06 for many years and loved it but now my new favorite is the 6.8 SPC. Packs the punch without the kick.

30-30 243 270 i use all them +1 on what everbody else said 30-30 was my frist deer rifle killed alot deer with it still have it today . good luck 

I’m leaning towards a .270 Model 70 Extreme weather. Sounds like that would be about perfect. Thanks for the opinions fellas 

I have a 30-30 that was my first deer rifle. I don't use it much anymore, it was passed down to me from my grandfather, and since his passing I keep it more or less in storage. I have a .270 Remington which is meh... but the last two seasons I have used a .223 in my AR-15. I am currently building a AR-10 (.308) but I doubt it will be ready for this season.

I was using a hollow point winchester round these last two seasons but, I had a couple of them fail me. They were duds. I pulled the trigger, heard the click but no boom. It happened twice, I had to eject them and rechamber. The third finally fired and brought the deer down. This year I am ditching the hollow points and going with the 64GR Powermax Bonded from Winchester

• Like 1

My first deer rifle was a pre 63 model 94 Whinchester lever 30/30 and I bagged a ton of deer with it and I used 150 gr Silver Tip ammo. The gun was passed down to my son who also bagged a bunch of deer with it and he passed it down to his oldest son that bagged a bunch of deer with it and when his little brother came along 19 years later it got passed down to him and he is now 12 and has bagged 4 deer with it since he began hunting at age 10. All of these deer where taken with a gun that never had a scope on it.

Edited by softbaitmaker

27 minutes ago, softbaitmaker said:

My first deer rifle was a pre 63 model 94 Whinchester lever 30/30 and I bagged a ton of deer with it and I used 150 gr Silver Tip ammo. The gun was passed down to my son who also bagged a bunch of deer with it and he passed it down to his oldest son that bagged a bunch of deer with it and when his little brother came along 19 years later it got passed down to him and he is now 12 and has bagged 4 deer with it since he began hunting at age 10. All of these deer where taken with a gun that never had a scope on it.

I have the same model rifle. Winchester model 94 cowboy commemorative, great rifle and like yours also has never had a scope on it.

You got me wanting to break it out, oil her up and consider using her this season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Karma said:

I have a 30-30 that was my first deer rifle. I don't use it much anymore, it was passed down to me from my grandfather, and since his passing I keep it more or less in storage. I have a .270 Remington which is meh... but the last two seasons I have used a .223 in my AR-15. I am currently building a AR-10 (.308) but I doubt it will be ready for this season.

I was using a hollow point winchester round these last two seasons but, I had a couple of them fail me. They were duds. I pulled the trigger, heard the click but no boom. It happened twice, I had to eject them and rechamber. The third finally fired and brought the deer down. This year I am ditching the hollow points and going with the 64GR Powermax Bonded from Winchester

14 hours ago, Karma said:

I have the same model rifle. Winchester model 94 cowboy commemorative, great rifle and like yours also has never had a scope on it.

You got me wanting to break it out, oil her up and consider using her this season.

Mine is not the Cowboy edition but it is a deer slayer for sure................:cheers:

2 hours ago, duckhunter81 said:

All listed will do the job well!  I personally lean towards the .308, .270, or .243. 

When I passed down my 30/30 I stepped up and went to a Savage model 110 308 Caliber with a Leupold 4.12x40 scope and me and a few buddies went down sighting our guns in a field at a buddy farm and I was drilling 6 inch pie tins at 250 yards so figured I was ready for deer season. I wish I would have had a pair of range finder glasses to go wih the gun. On day one I shot at 3 deer with zero hits. I went to each spot the deer was standing that I shot at and no blood and no evidence of where round landed. Went through that on next 3 hunts. Went and resighted gun in and was still drilling pie tins. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with help of a buddy. He was with me on the next hunt and we spotted a nice buck and I was getting ready to shoot when he said you need to aim above the deers back and I asked why and he said the deer was about 400 yards away. Because I was not use to a sight I was misjudging the distance because the scope made the deer look closer than it was and my rounds where falling way short of the deer. I went back to the field and re sighted the gun in for 350 yards and next time out on hunt I wounded a deer and had a blood trail but had to get a buddy to bring his fox hounds out to trail the deer till we found him laying dead over a mile from where I shot him.

I developed a dislike for the long range gun/scope combo so removed the scope and went to steel sights and killed next three deer dead but shots were 150 to 200 yards. I sold that gun and scope at the end of the season and bought a nice Marlin 30/30 and went back to my 150 Silver Tips and still use that today if I hunt.

Ive been hearing alot of good stuff about the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge.  Has anyone had experience with this round?

2 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

When I passed down my 30/30 I stepped up and went to a Savage model 110 308 Caliber with a Leupold 4.12x40 scope and me and a few buddies went down sighting our guns in a field at a buddy farm and I was drilling 6 inch pie tins at 250 yards so figured I was ready for deer season. I wish I would have had a pair of range finder glasses to go wih the gun. On day one I shot at 3 deer with zero hits. I went to each spot the deer was standing that I shot at and no blood and no evidence of where round landed. Went through that on next 3 hunts. Went and resighted gun in and was still drilling pie tins. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with help of a buddy. He was with me on the next hunt and we spotted a nice buck and I was getting ready to shoot when he said you need to aim above the deers back and I asked why and he said the deer was about 400 yards away. Because I was not use to a sight I was misjudging the distance because the scope made the deer look closer than it was and my rounds where falling way short of the deer. I went back to the field and re sighted the gun in for 350 yards and next time out on hunt I wounded a deer and had a blood trail but had to get a buddy to bring his fox hounds out to trail the deer till we found him laying dead over a mile from where I shot him.

I developed a dislike for the long range gun/scope combo so removed the scope and went to steel sights and killed next three deer dead but shots were 150 to 200 yards. I sold that gun and scope at the end of the season and bought a nice Marlin 30/30 and went back to my 150 Silver Tips and still use that today if I hunt.

The trajectory of the round has alot to do with long range shooting Softy.  Check this out.

optics_1.png

In this graph, two loads are displayed. The green trajectory is a 308 load zeroed at 100 yards. It starts 2" low, rises to the LOA at 100 yards, and then drops off the graph 8" low at 267 yards.

The red trajectory is the same load zeroed at 200 yards. It starts 2" low, intersects with the LOA the first time at about 40 yards. At 120 yards, it's about 1.6" above the LOA, then drops, intersecting the LOA again at 200 yards. This is the second, or primary, zero. At 300 yards, it's about 7" low.

Looking at the graph with the 200 yard zero, the point of impact (POI) at 100 yards would be about 1.6" above the point of aim (POA). At 240, the POI will be 2" below the POA. At 300, the POI will be 7.5" below the POA. Thus, to hit a small target at 300 yards, the shooter would have to hold 7" above the target. The bullet continues to fall relative to the line of aim as target range is increased.

A table can be constructed which relates the drop distance for every range out to the maximum engagement range. An abbreviated table might look like this, for a rifle with a 100 yard zero. (An actual table would have intermediate distances like 120, 140, etc.)

RANGE   DROP
 100     0"
 200     2.87"
 300     11.2"
 400     25.6"
 500     46.9"
 600     76.0"
 700    114.9"
 800    161.7"
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, whj812 said:

Ive been hearing alot of good stuff about the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge.  Has anyone had experience with this round?

The trajectory of the round has alot to do with long range shooting Softy.  Check this out.

optics_1.png

In this graph, two loads are displayed. The green trajectory is a 308 load zeroed at 100 yards. It starts 2" low, rises to the LOA at 100 yards, and then drops off the graph 8" low at 267 yards.

The red trajectory is the same load zeroed at 200 yards. It starts 2" low, intersects with the LOA the first time at about 40 yards. At 120 yards, it's about 1.6" above the LOA, then drops, intersecting the LOA again at 200 yards. This is the second, or primary, zero. At 300 yards, it's about 7" low.

Looking at the graph with the 200 yard zero, the point of impact (POI) at 100 yards would be about 1.6" above the point of aim (POA). At 240, the POI will be 2" below the POA. At 300, the POI will be 7.5" below the POA. Thus, to hit a small target at 300 yards, the shooter would have to hold 7" above the target. The bullet continues to fall relative to the line of aim as target range is increased.

A table can be constructed which relates the drop distance for every range out to the maximum engagement range. An abbreviated table might look like this, for a rifle with a 100 yard zero. (An actual table would have intermediate distances like 120, 140, etc.)

RANGE   DROP
 100     0"
 200     2.87"
 300     11.2"
 400     25.6"
 500     46.9"
 600     76.0"
 700    114.9"
 800    161.7"

Yea I can see the graph and I don't like shooting a deer that far away and chancing just wounding it and not being able to get a clean kill and that is why I sold it and went back to the 30/30 and don't have to worry about making those long iffy shots any more.

Edited by softbaitmaker

Just now, softbaitmaker said:

Yea I can see the graph and I don't like shooting a deer that far away and chancing just wounding it and not being able to get a clean likk and that is why I sold it and went back to the 30/30 and don't have to worry about making those long iffy shots.

LOL!!  I feel you man.  I havent hunted since 2005 sold my big rifles and now I plink with 223/556 all the time.  I've got pretty dang good with my AR lately.  Hitting 6 in steel plates at 400yds pretty regularly.  I have to drive an hour to get to that range though.....  I need to go back soon.

That being said... anyone got anything on those creedmoors?

4 hours ago, whj812 said:

LOL!!  I feel you man.  I havent hunted since 2005 sold my big rifles and now I plink with 223/556 all the time.  I've got pretty dang good with my AR lately.  Hitting 6 in steel plates at 400yds pretty regularly.  I have to drive an hour to get to that range though.....  I need to go back soon.

That being said... anyone got anything on those creedmoors?

I have a buddy, in South Georgia, that swears by the 6.5 Creedmore. He says it shoots very level, but I’ve personally never shot it

The 6.5 creedmore is good.flat shooting am looking at 300 black out got  any info on that guys

Back when I was seriously into hunting I had a Remington r25 7mm-08 Wich is basically a ar10 same brass as 308 just smaller bullet 120gr ballistic tip nosler bullet knocked em down good no recoil flat shooting loved that load just my .02

I’ve been hearing a lot about using an AR to hunt deer. What’s the advantage to that, vs a standard long rifle?

I've built 4 ar platform rifles and done alot of research on the different caliber's. As for a caliber to deer hunt with I went with the 6.8 SPC over the 300 blackout and 6.5 Grendel. If ur thinking of going with a ar-15 platform check into the 6.8 spc. My nine year old girl loves it and that's the only rifle she wants to deer hunt with.

Edited by Riverman1

20 hours ago, bluejig said:

The 6.5 creedmore is good.flat shooting am looking at 300 black out got  any info on that guys

I had a buddy of mine that put a 300 blackout upper on his AR. He said he really liked it, as far as hunting goes he is more of a target shooter so I can't testify to that.

12 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

I’ve been hearing a lot about using an AR to hunt deer. What’s the advantage to that, vs a standard long rifle?

I think a lot of it is preference. With that said the AR is just a convenient platform. I think the popularity has a lot to do with how easily they are to personalize to your shooting style. You can change out uppers to 300 blackout or .22 with a conversation kit. You can customize from various rifle length... Mine is mid length but there is the rifle length and carbine. You can also put accessories on the hand guard. Mine has a 3 way flashlight from bushnell. I can use the flashlight to find my stand in the morning, uv mode to help track blood or red light to preserve my night vision. I can also mount a bipod on it or a foregrip. The possibilities are endless. That being said the .223 is a smaller round so shot placement is key.

I wouldn't have shot this one if I had known it was the 4 pointer. I had two on my game camera, the other was a 6. However he did stock my freezer and it was a great shot into the heart. 

http://uploads.im/S81bd.jpg