Sign in to follow this  
Peck

Gloves

After the wash down on Cherokee on Saturday I've realized I need some gloves. I have a set of neoprene gloves, no idea on the brand, but I can't cast wearing them to save my life. So I wore 1 glove all day. After 3 hours or so in the rain my hands were shot, even the one with the glove. It kept my hand dry for a while, but eventually soaked through. They would have also froze me to death had it been cold. 

My Pro Qualifier bibs did amazing, and the Frog Togg jacket was decent with layers underneath. I plan to buy the BPS jacket, either the Pro Qualifier or 100mph jacket this winter since my Frog Togg Jacket is more suited for summer time use. 

I'm curious what gloves you guys recommend. Mainly looking for a good fall/winter glove that will keep me dry and warm, without making casting an issue. I'm not as worried about summer rain, but more the colder weather. Recommendations?

• Like 1

I can't fish in gloves. I've tried several different pairs. The only ones I've ever been able to fish a few minutes in are light cotton gloves with no fingers. I'd rather be cold and stick my hands in my pockets every couple minutes with some warmers. I do wear wool gloves when running. They are warm even went wet.

Nike makes a winter time golf glove that I really like for fishing. They are easy to fish with but I swap to a heavier glove when driving the boat. They aren't water proof but I treat them with water proofing spray and they do pretty good. They wouldn't help a lot in a heavy rain but otherwise are great.

I buy the fleece lined jersey gloves for every day fishing. I have found the ones with the rubber dots on the palm side and use latex under that when it's raining. They usually come a few pairs to a pack. Have a heavy insulated pair for driving the boat.

I'm with Kenny on this one. I have small, wide hands anyway, so it's hard for me to find a glove that fits right to begin with. Hothands in coat pockets & hand warmer muff on real cold days. I have a pair of Arctic Shield glommitts for driving. They're ok....not great "feel"...but that's not really necessary for driving.

I can say that after a few years, the Cabela's Guidewear I bought is worth every penny. Kept me dry all day.

If you guys haven't tried wool gloves I'd really recommend it. I have several pairs of gloves from neoprene to cotton but the wool ones are by far the warmest. Maybe some of you could fish in them but I just can't do it. Like I said, even wet they hold heat.

Thanks for all the advice. 

I loved the Pro Qualifier Bibs. The Jacket is definitely my next purchase, when I find a sale. 

I do have some thicker gloves for running down the lake. Some old ski gloves but warm and work perfect for that. I've heard about wearing latex underneath to keep dry like Ross mentioned. Just forgot all about that on Saturday. I believe I even have some in the boat. Hot hands is also something I never though about.  I think a fingerless glove would be ideal. I just can't feel enough to cast in anything I've tried. 

Thanks fellas. 

Some guys say putting a hot hands under a wristband (think wristbands for sports) will help keep the blood warm and hands warmer. It makes sense since we used similar methods on patients who over heat or have hypothermia on the ambulance. I've never tried it and I'd imagine it's only a minimal help but I could be wrong. Wristbands can't be over a dollar or two so it's probably worth a try... even if it's only physicological.

I take a pair of plain cotton gloves and cut the fingers off about 1/2 way down and the thumb almost all the way down. Then put hands warmers inside the gloves on the back side of your hands and it will keep your finger tips warm and you can cast fairly well with the exposed fingers. It has worked for me but may not work for everyone. 

Bronzebackhunter put me on some Simms Gloves that are fingerless with the mitten flap, I can cast In them and they've also been good on cold days delivering the mail. The have some at Mahoneys, but I bought mine on amazon for about 30 bucks 

Edited by pitchin pigs

BulletDuece introduced me to a trick some time back because I hate gloves when I am fishing also. A good set of latex or nitrile gloves from autozone will do you wonders. No matter how cold it is outside that is all I wear now. I keep some in the glove box of my boat all winter. take multiple pairs because they will rip on you during the day but it helps a lot just to keep your hands dry. I still keep hot hands in my pockets to warm up from time to time and a set of leather insulated work gloves to drive from spot to spot.

20 hours ago, pitchin pigs said:

Bronzebackhunter put me on some Simms Gloves that are fingerless with the mitten flap, I can cast In them and they've also been good on cold days delivering the mail. The have some at Mahoneys, but I bought mine on amazon for about 30 bucks 

Best fishing gloves I’ve ever used. Put them on when I get in the boat, take them off when I get in the truck. I love my pair. 

I will say I’ve had to fix mine, the first generation had weak stitching around the thumb seam. Sewed them up, no problems since. I’ve been using them since 2011. 

I buy a set of those stretchy women's gloves that come 3 to a pack.  I use these to duck hunt in also, especially for my right hand so I can still call and it not be muffled.  They look kinda funny but do the trick.  I can cast a bait caster in them also, however, they are not treble hook friendly.  If one gets near them, they jump out and grab it and then its scissors time.  They are small enough I can keep them on when I put on larger gloves for running.  And they are cheap. My hands don't get very cold as a general rule though.

I've had a number of cold weather injuries on my hands so gloves are a big deal for me.  I use the Serius polypropylene compression gloves (get'em at any sports store).  They keep my hands warm after getting wet.  The compression fit provides support.  The tight fit allows me to work a reel and even tie knots (albeit very slowly).  $20.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:57 AM, Peck said:

Thanks for all the advice. 

I loved the Pro Qualifier Bibs. The Jacket is definitely my next purchase, when I find a sale. 

I do have some thicker gloves for running down the lake. Some old ski gloves but warm and work perfect for that. I've heard about wearing latex underneath to keep dry like Ross mentioned. Just forgot all about that on Saturday. I believe I even have some in the boat. Hot hands is also something I never though about.  I think a fingerless glove would be ideal. I just can't feel enough to cast in anything I've tried. 

Thanks fellas. 

I have the Bps 100mph jacket & love it. Ive had mine for about 5 yrs now & the only complaint i have is the damn hood won't stay zipped onto the jacket. Other than that, its awesome. They tend to run on the large side, whitch is good for layering. It is still pretty waterproof & is absolutely windproof, even at 70 mph in winter running down the lake for 30 mins. I have never been able to do gloves, but after last winter i'm gonna have to find something.