Sign in to follow this  
MOONlite

Ultrex

Not noisy at all. The one boat that I’ve been in with it was amazing. If you do much off shore fishing it is a game changer. 

i guess noise is relative...some say it's noisy,  others say it's not.

i'm on the fence and my old johnson is quiet and working fine.

It is noisier than your normal trolling motor.  I have run one most of the year in my partners boat.  Here are some things I like and dislike about it:

Pros:

Turns 360 degrees basically

Spot Lock

Remote use

Straight one piece shaft

Cons:

Noisy in shallow Water

Foot pedal bigger than normal

Takes some getting used to the way it operates

Overall, I will have one eventually

I've had the Motorguide Xi5 for a few months now. I don't think it's noisy, but like you said that's relative. The anchor function (spot lock on MK) is worth it's wait in gold. Huge benefit to offshore fishing but I use it just as much beating the banks. If you come to a brush pile you want to really work over, you can hit the button and stay on it. Also huge when you boat a fish or need to retie. Just hit the button, do your thing, and pick right back up on the bank or whatever you were fishing. The steering takes some getting used to, it's a lot different feel than a traditional cable steer. The Xi5 has a wireless foot pedal, not sure about the Ultrex. This allows for a cleaner front deck and you can move the pedal wherever you want anywhere in the boat. Also has a remote, which I think the Ultrex does too. I prefer the pedal, but the remote has a few more functions that can't be done with the pedal alone. 

If you're a Lowrance guy definitely go with Motorguide. If you are a Humminbird guy, then go with the Minn Kota. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed, and you'll probably wish you had made the upgrade sooner. The additional functionality of either will far out weigh the additional noise, if there even is any. 

still on the fence.

i've heard spot lock sometime causes rotation too far and pulls the coil wire out of head.  anybody had this happen?  is this a defect or design problem?  it seems there would be a designed limit on how far it could rotate.  also seems there would have to be a logic program for what to do when it reached the limit.  or does the operator have to take over?  thanks

If you spin it the same direction several revolutions that can happen. Never had spot lock but I twisted my old one up tight a few times 

Edited by rusty50576

On my Xi5 it will spin around then spin back the other direction before it wraps itself up too bad. I have gotten it wrapped around my front navigation light before, but it seemed to stop and reverse direction before enough force to pull the wires loose. The navigation light issue was a one time thing, not really sure how it even got over that far, but it did somehow.  Not saying it can't/won't wrap up bad enough to pull something loose, but I haven't seen it as being an issue. Ultrex may be different tho. 

I'm telling you it is well worth the money. You'll wonder how you ever fished without out.