Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Jon boats

Well fellas, I’m wanting to get back on the water with y’all this upcoming year, and a full bass rig just isn’t in the cards right now, so I’m gonna buy my cousins 2007 Grizzly 17’ Jon from him. Has a 25 horse 4 stroke Merc. I’ve wanted a Jon for years anyways, for river fishing, so figure it’s a good investment to have, even after I get a new bass boat later. Only issue is livewell- wondering everyone’s ideas. I’m thinking a big cooler livewell, so I can remove it when it’s not needed, but idk how well that’ll do for bass versus say crappie or bait fish (the typical use). Thoughts?

41 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

Well fellas, I’m wanting to get back on the water with y’all this upcoming year, and a full bass rig just isn’t in the cards right now, so I’m gonna buy my cousins 2007 Grizzly 17’ Jon from him. Has a 25 horse 4 stroke Merc. I’ve wanted a Jon for years anyways, for river fishing, so figure it’s a good investment to have, even after I get a new bass boat later. Only issue is livewell- wondering everyone’s ideas. I’m thinking a big cooler livewell, so I can remove it when it’s not needed, but idk how well that’ll do for bass versus say crappie or bait fish (the typical use). Thoughts?

I'd say a cooler with an aerator and a portable pump to drop in the lake to fill and to recirculate/pump out would do fine.  Might do a little google action and read up on some jon boat to bass boat conversions. A lot of people do deck extensions, rod lockers, livewells ect. 

This may be a bit extreme, but some good points in the video if you get bored and have time to watch. 

I think Bass pro sells a toho rig livewell set up plumbed & everything. Be worth looking into. Maybe more up front cost, but less time rigging & running hoses, etc.

https://m.tackledirect.com/shingle-creek-toho-rig-portable-livewells.html?mainc=TMP-0153&gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZeUnUueLNPV0h3TgRj4PrPGNdVfFHPLVGNjDkt5uWDow3PXvulQ91RoCs-4QAvD_BwE

I have fished in a lot of local small tournaments and there was always 3 or 4 Jon boat anglers in them and quite a few times they ended up winning it and they had cooler type homemade live well systems and I don't think I every saw one of those boats have a dead fish.

Brilliant Andy. Thanks. Peck, its a Tracker Grizzly with a deck on the front. Like I said, I wanna keep whatever I put on it portable, so I can remove it for river or fun fishing, if that makes sense. I’ll eventually buy another full bass rig once my business is stable. 

Those guys that have the tiny boat nation videos like posted above do all kinds of mods... some are good and some make no sense at all. If I got ideas from most of them I'd tweak them after giving them some logical thought. But like others have said, a cooler will work. You can also buy live well inserts if you ever want to make something more permanent. On the cooler, the bigger the better. 

Ive been thinking of doing the jon boat thing for awhile. Been looking for a 1672 to convert. I was thinking a 90 qt cooler would work well with a good air pump. 

I really like that tank Andy posted. It’s still portable, but has all of the stuff rigged and ready. 

9 hours ago, SilverFox said:

Those guys that have the tiny boat nation videos like posted above do all kinds of mods... some are good and some make no sense at all. If I got ideas from most of them I'd tweak them after giving them some logical thought. But like others have said, a cooler will work. You can also buy live well inserts if you ever want to make something more permanent. On the cooler, the bigger the better. 

Don't get him watching those videos.... you can't stop. Some of them are very impressive others are meh.. and then some I think they would have been better off just buying a used bass boat. Those videos are like internet crack cocaine.

1 hour ago, NobbyNobbs said:

Tracker just released the 40th annv.. heritage boat for under 10K Looks like a good deal for someone wanting a boat on a fixed or low budget.. http://www.heritageboat.com/

Excellent deal right there. Gets the job done

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, SteveHTN said:

I do wonder how well a 9 gallon livewell would work for a full limit, though. 

The only way to find out would be to buy 1 and then catch a limit of keeper fish to put in it. It says the live well had aeration and with a little C&R or PRM and some ice it should work.......:D

4 minutes ago, softbaitmaker said:

The only way to find out would be to buy 1 and then catch a limit of keeper fish to put in it. It says the live well had aeration and with a little C&R or PRM and some ice it should work.......:D

Well I’m talking hypothetically. God knows with my typical 1.34 pound bag, 9 gallons is more than enough. 

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2017 at 10:12 AM, SteveHTN said:

I do wonder how well a 9 gallon livewell would work for a full limit, though. 

At that price, it would be easier to buy it and add another livewell. Hard to rig a jon with a trailer for under 10K

Unless you just want a new boat with a warranty, I'd stick with something used. Plenty of Bass Trackers around $5k on Craigslist. Then you have another $5k for better electronics and Trolling motor. Heck I got my Nitro for under $10k. But if new is what you're after you won't be able to touch that price.