Sign in to follow this  
JWB

Winter head gear?

Curious what you guys where during winter? I have a few save face masks but they fog up to much for me only wear em in heavy rain nowadays.  Past couple years just been wearing a boggin and ski goggles and a fleece neck gator but isn't ideal for running in wet weather and with gator, hoodie, and jacket I fell like I'm being strangled. Thinking of buying a helmet but afraid will be to heavy and may fog up. Any opinions or advice?

When it's super cold I use a vented motorcycle helmet.  Bike riders have the same issue boat drivers do - fogs up until you start moving.  I didn't spend a ton of $ for mine - maybe $50 at a bike shop.

When it's not too cold I use a Seirus balaclava.  It has a vented facepiece.  Windproof, waterproof, and very warm.  I wear my sunglasses with it.  No issues.  $25 at your neighborhood Cabela's or REI store.

I use Save Phace only when raining or air temp below 20*. Wear full face baclava and fleece toboggan under everything and pull hoodie top over it while running. I treat my Save Phace with Never Fog. 

Drill a couple of holes in the mouth area of your Save Phace. It’ll let a little cold air in when you’re running, but nothing unbearable, and you won’t have anymore fog issues

I've got a save phace........it's ok when treated with anti fogging compound. When it's really cold, I use a vented full face helmet. Used to have a bike or 2 so just kept one of my old ones. Some of the nicer ones (mines an HJC) have a vent in front, top & rear but also have a "breath box" that snaps in above your nose. Out of your vision, but keeps exhaled breath down away from face shield. On super cold or high humidity days, I have to lift the face shield up to the first notch, like a 1/2" open. Main thing is with a helmet, DO NOT strap the chin strap. If, God forbid, you had an accident or came out of the boat, the water &/or air forces would remove the helmet so it doesn't fill with water.