Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

on-board charging

Okay guys.. just curious.. so want opinions..... 

I pretty much always leave my charger unplugged unless I am planning on going fishing the next day. When I was living in a colder environment I would take the batteries out for the winter since it is hard to put in hard water. Last winter I left the batteries in the boat and only charged when I was going out.  This year I of course have the newer Triton. So far I have adhered to the only charge when I am getting ready to go out.

Question is do you find it better to leave the batteries plugged in all the time or continue as I am with only charging when I plan on using.  My boat stays outside year round with a cover over it. Even after I install the carport over the area next year it will still be subject to the colder weather. 

I leave mine plugged all the time. Gets them charged back up ASAP when you get home. Charged batteries store much better than dead batteries. And once they top off, they just trickle charge. 

^^^^^ what he said. It’s best to charge em soon as you get back home from a trip. I used a simple daylight/dark timer for mine. After the batteries were fully charged, I’d switch the timer over to 2 hours a day, and that worked good for me. But I also had an older charger in my Astro. These new chargers should be fine just leaving em on

• Like 1

So, it really depends on the battery type AND charger type. AGM batteries can withstand constant charge flow, but require a "maintenance cycle". Wet cell bttys can't stand constant on, as they will boil dry. Even a timer on wet cell batteries isn't great, unless you can manually switch the charger to "maintenance" or very low (2) amps. Check with your charger manufacturer, tell them the battery type & model # charger & they'll give you a recommendation. My old Noco & this new Minn kota precision are "smart", in that you set the battery type(AGM for me) and leave them plugged in any time the boat is not in use. They run til bttys are charged, then go into maintenance mode, where they kick on once every 12 hours & do diagnostics & maintenance charging as needed to maintain 95-100% charge on each btty.

I, too, leave the charger plugged in all the time.  Once the batts are fully charged the unit switches to the trickle mode (like MM describes above).  I also plug in the charger as soon as I return from a trip.

I plug my boat up when I come home and it stays plugged up until we go fishing again but I also do keep an eye on my water levels in the batteries and about 3 times a year I have a battery bottle made for servicing batteries and it has a mixture of water and acid in it for topping off each battery the 3 times a year. It does seem to extend battery life.

i charge immediately after fishing and then unplug.  i have cutoff switches at trolling and start batteries which i keep turned off when not in use.  i charge again every 2 weeks if boat is not used.  i have less confidence in battery chargers than most.  my batteries also last longer with this method.  if you have a computer controlled engine and don't have a battery switch, you are almost forced to leave chargers plugged in at all times.