Sign in to follow this  
Z-91

FYI on new fuel

FUEL FOR THOUGHT: Last summer the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) asked the public how much ethanol it wanted to be added to the nation’s gasoline supply. Recreational boaters as well as many other owners of gasoline engines and vehicles spoke up against increasing ethanol volumes under the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).

Regardless, earlier this month the EPA set the 2018 RFS at a 0.05 percent increase over the 2017 standard. Signed into law in 2005, the RFS requires an increasing amount of biofuels, such as corn ethanol, to be blended into the gasoline supply.

When it was written, RFS assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to grow. Since 2005, however, gasoline usage has not increased as forecasted, which today forces more ethanol into each gallon of gas. To keep up with the RFS mandate, in 2010 EPA granted a waiver to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) into the marketplace.

However, only fuels containing up to 10 percent ethanol (E10) are safe for use in recreational boats and small engines. As higher blends enter the gas supply, the chance of misfueling increases. At the same time, E10 decreases fuel efficiency, increases fuel costs for consumers, and has questionable environmental benefits. Go to www.BoatUS.com/gov/rfs for more information on the Renewable Fuel Standard.

All ethanol does is keep corn farmers in business......the crap is absolutely worthless. 

Just waiting till they outlaw pure gas from being sold.. After I work through my current tank its all that I plan on putting in my boat. Even if it is .40 more per gal.

Well, between Trump gutting the epa, and the oil drilling now being wide open for the first time in decades, maybe this stupidity won’t be around much longer. The one that gets me is this giant push for ethanol, which costs more energy to distill than gasoline, and makes less energy than gasoline per gallon, yet there isn’t that much of a push towards biodiesel, which is far less money and energy expensive to produce than ethanol. Go figure

2 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Well, between Trump gutting the epa, and the oil drilling now being wide open for the first time in decades, maybe this stupidity won’t be around much longer. The one that gets me is this giant push for ethanol, which costs more energy to distill than gasoline, and makes less energy than gasoline per gallon, yet there isn’t that much of a push towards biodiesel, which is far less money and energy expensive to produce than ethanol. Go figure

Gotta be padding someone’s pocket as is everything in big business and government.