Sign in to follow this  
Jbrown

Float and fly

Any body ever try it I thought about giving it a go but taking my reg tackle just in case it don’t work is it just like crappie fishing or is it different 

It's very very different from crappie fishing. To do it right, it takes very specific tackle. I use a 2 pc 9 ft rod, 3 way swivel & weighted bobber. With the advances in electronics & the ability to fish vertically, I've not used it in a couple years. You're targeting the same fish, just at a distance, instead of over top of them.

So you still have the need to use your electronic to mark and the back off and fish I’ve fished vertically and had sucsess just wanting to try something new 

So out of curiosity it’s just killing me why the three way swivel and not just a pear float 

Three way swivel allows more movement & easier to detect bites on the fall. Tons of YouTube vids on how & why. I'm short, so even with a 9' rod, I've always hated throwing that long leader under a bobber. Just a preference thing. I've caught some toads on it, just not my favorite way to fish em

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/float-n-fly.html

Good link

I have a love/hate relationship with a bobber. I do not use the swivel, but a dual weighted bobber is a must. It allows you to detect lift bites. They’ll come up under it and hit it coming up and it will just fall over on its side. I LOVE catching fish on it. But I HATE casting the darn thing. You ever seen the goofy movie where he explains the perfect cast and wraps himself up in the line? That’s how I feel casting it. I’ll make one cast where it fires out there perfectly and then the next three will wrap around the rod tip, the trolling motor, my fishing partner, or whatever else. But when there’s 4lbers eating it and you’re catching em on a 9 or 10’ noodle rod with 4lb line it’s a blast. 

I believe I will at least try it thanks for the info I really appreciate it 

I use a standard spinning rig (7-6) and a slip float set-up.  15# braid as a base line w/ an 8# fluoro or co-poly leader.  Knot is small enuff to make it thru the guides w/o issue.  Knot is large enuff to hold the bead that stops the float.  Solves the casting and hook set issues some folks have.  Also a lot easier to store on board.

Only problem with slip float is the lift bite. Can't weight the float, so on lift bite, it just sits there like normal.

Normally. The colder the better. The fish you are targeting with a fnf are usually 15-20 ft deep. To me, they don’t bite it like they used to, but with more people dropping on them and less people Fishing a bobber it has gotten a little better. I think the big game changer that makes those drop fish stay out there deeper longer is the alewives. They traditionally stay deeper than your other pelagic baitfish (threadfin, gizzards) that we have here. They act more like a BB Herring, normally coming shallower during the night, and moving back offshore deep during the day. IMO, the best time to catch them in between is during the first 2 hours of the day. That’s when the bobber has seemed to shine the last couple years. 

3 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

I use a standard spinning rig (7-6) and a slip float set-up.  15# braid as a base line w/ an 8# fluoro or co-poly leader.  Knot is small enuff to make it thru the guides w/o issue.  Knot is large enuff to hold the bead that stops the float.  Solves the casting and hook set issues some folks have.  Also a lot easier to store on board.

Ive tried the slip flote thing & i couldn't get the fly to pull line thru the flote. Do you use a heavier head jig?

1/16 - 1/4 oz.  The tube in the float is plenty wide enuff to allow easy passage of line.  The lighter jigs take a bit of time to sink but they have no trouble passing thru.

Thanks guys this is a ton of good info I truely  do appreciate it when I go if I can figure out how I will post some pictures of what ever I catch nknowing my luck I will have at least one drum I can’t get away from them stupid things no matter what I do