Sign in to follow this  
Riverman1

Jig pouring

How many people on where pours there on jig heads? With the price of jig heads it has to be cheaper than buying them. 

I make and sell them.

The initial investment can be fairly substantial with the equipment depending on how expensive you want to go with that. Lead pot, molds, hooks, paints etc. They don't really start paying for themselves until you start making vast amounts (hundreds) of them. If you're just looking at making a few custom ones, your better off finding someone who does custom ones and ordering them. Here is a video of a friend of mine from the west coast doing a video explaining the cost or the old is it worth it question.

if you're just looking at getting into it as a hobby or something to do during the cold time of the year, I will say it can be fun! Also keep in mind that he is sponsored by Do-It so he uses their products and lists their prices. You can find some things cheaper in various places on the web but the prices he lists are a fair analyst.

Edited by Karma

I have done took the plunge and ordered the pot and two molds. In a week or two I'm gonna order the Midwest finesse mold for the ned rig.

when we first started doing it, it actually started over green pumpkin football jigs.  We caught a lot of fish on them and of course you lose jigs dragging them across the bottom. Walmart never had what we wanted or was always sold out of green pumpkin so we invested in the equipment and started making various jigs and hard plastics and selling them to locals to make up for some of the investment costs. Since the nearest Bass Pro to us is 80+ miles away and the only decent tackle shop in the area charges and arm and a leg we caught on pretty fast in these parts.

Advice.. don't skip on the safety equipment. You're going to get burned at some point. Get some nice leather gloves, always wear eye protection. I don't know what pot you ordered but with ours it has a lever we use to open and close the flow of lead, even with it closed it drips and splatters off the bottom plate, if one of those splatters hits your eye... well you get where I am going. We have started putting an old soup can down under it to catch some of the lead but some splatters still fly up.

Edited by Karma

I like to fish jigs too. Thought the video was very informative. I don't have time to do this but maybe someday I will try it. 

I make my own skirts but not the jigheads.  I buy those from someone who does it as a hobby.  It's a lil more involved than some may think - melting/pouring lead requires some degree of ventilation, there are humidity and static electricity issues that require mitigation, getting the right lead is often not as cost-effective as it once was, and using recycled lead doesn't yield a quality product unless it's been reprocessed/refined.  That said . . .

There's nothing like catching a fish on something you've researched, designed, and made.  It's about as cool a thing as there is in fishing.

Have fun with it. I’ve thought about it before, but I never have time to fool with it. I just get online with Tackle Whorehouse, or Softy, for whatever I need. 

10 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

getting the right lead is often not as cost-effective as it once was, and using recycled lead doesn't yield a quality product unless it's been reprocessed/refined. 

You can actually find good quality lead on ebay and various other places for decent prices. I generally pay about $1 per pound. We used to get ours from the local gun range for $5 for100 lbs but it was unrefined and by the time you melt it down and get all of the jackets etc out of it... it's not worth the hassle. I wouldn't bother with wheel weights either, I have heard of them causing explosions.

Lucky for me I'm a plumber I still have 5 pound ingots and scrap lead back when you pour lead into cast iron flanges what we didn't use the foreman didn't want the boss to see the lead laying around I'll take it. So as far were to get lead I don't know. I have never tried to make money pouring jigs or plastic worms but the thing is that the world is open to what you can think of. It's a pretty cool feeling when you catch a fish on something you made.

Not trying to take business away from anybody, but ebay is the place to get jig, spinnerbait & buzzbait stuff. If you aren't in a hurry, you can usually surf around on there thru the week & find smokin deals. But it takes time. Last month i found a place that had gamakatsu hooks, 5 packs of 5 for 5.99, free shipping. They also had a couple of different sizes of the bulk packs of 25. 2 packs for 11 bucks, free ship. Can't beat it.

That's why I never tried to sell them to make money, the amount of labor to make a batch jigs does not equate to what people are willing to pay.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, snj60 said:

That's why I never tried to sell them to make money, the amount of labor to make a batch jigs does not equate to what people are willing to pay.

If you're trying to make a profit off of them, you have to do large quantities at a time. Getting everything ready and prepped to make someone a batch of 6 football jigs is not time or cost efficient. We make them in bulk, one of the local stores around here has started carrying ours. Having a nice shop is key, we got heat, AC, a tv, internet... makes time in that facemask go by a lot faster.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:06 AM, 31Airborne said:

There's nothing like catching a fish on something you've researched, designed, and made.  It's about as cool a thing as there is in fishing.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:05 PM, snj60 said:

It's a pretty cool feeling when you catch a fish on something you made.

It's even better when someone who bought something from you sends you the photos of the hawg they caught on it and you can see how excited they are. That gets me absolutely stoked and pumped up to keep going. I had a guy send me this last night.

i74oGZ3.jpgOaLDGSL.jpg

and a video he shot of it, you could tell he was pumped. We are using it on our facebook page.

Edited by Karma