Sign in to follow this  
chevy101

Used ranger

Hello guys, quick question...would you put 35k in a used ranger 07 z20 with 14 merc. 250 pro xs  or go with a smaller boat probably triton 18 or 19' and smaller motor, maybe a 150 but the triton would be new?

Thanks for any input

It's pretty hard to beat a Ranger boat. With that being said.. Its an 11 year old boat, what condition is the carpet in, the seats, has it oxidized? I wouldn't want something that has been left outside for 10 years. I'd want to inspect it well first and have a mechanic look it over.

Hard call. I’d give the Ranger a hard look over. If it’s in top notch shape, it may be a good buy. That said, me personally I’d rather spend the money on something like a Tracker 195 or similar tin boat, or any of the other boats you mentioned. Something to be said about having brand new wiring, motor, trailer hubs, etc. That stuff starts to become a pain as the boat ages, IMO. Also, having that extra room and power is nice, but obviously eats more of your wallet up in operating costs. My .02

I believe the Z20's were only rated for a 225 so might want to look at that aspect if you plan on fishing tournaments and maybe insurance . (check the motor hours it may tell you how much or how little it was used.

Does it have a jack plate? The Z20's will perform much, much, much better with a 10 inch jack plate and I'm pretty sure Ranger made them standard but not sure of the year ...but it was after I bought mine. lol  

Look at the lids to all of the compartments some were easy to bow and feel mushy when you stand on them. 

Not bashing just stating what I would look for other than the obvious hull  and trailer shape as stated above.

From my experience, it's all about what you're more comfortable with. There are some great used boats to be had for a much smaller investment than buying new. However, warranty is worth its weight in gold if you have a major problem.....such as compressor failure, lower unit failure, reed crack/failure, etc, etc. Even the most meticulously maintained boats start having problems in the 8-10 yr range. But, if you're ok with taking a chance that you're gonna be investing some cash in repairs, because all boat motors have problems. Ever brand, every motor eventually has some issues in a bass boat application. They rev too high & run too hard not to. It's a gamble either way. Are you going to tourney fish? Do you need the extra 2-3 ft of boat? Is it going to put a financial burden on you to buy a new one OR to pay for a motor rebuild if the used one pops on you? All things to consider. Good point made above about rating & horsepower on the used Ranger......that could be an issue if the number on the cowling is higher than the boats rating placard.

If you go new. You will always know how it was treated and you have a warranty. The deck on a 18trx fishes huge being just a 18 footer. 

Who ever put the 250 on that boat broke the law to begin with. It gives your insurance company loop hole to not pay a claim if you were to have one. If it were me and I was going to shell out money on a boat it would be a brand new boat with all kinds of warranties and legal to insure.........JMHO

I Got a brand new 18 TRX and had to put it in the shop a 3 times . Replace reed for my compressor , (Mercury sent me a letter and said to get it changed)  torn diaphragm on the air side of the fuel rail and a new tilt and trim . None of this cost me a dime . Just came  out of a 2007 Ranger 519 vx with a 200 v max . After 2 years of owning the boat I had to rebuild the motor costing me 4000.00 .

Guys you all know your boats, lol I was wrong it is a 225 optima pro xs

It' been grauge kept, looks brand new, no holes in seats or carpet, has a lowrance 9 and 7 not sure which gen, honestly it looks brand new.....and it still has some warraty on the motor bit it runs out this year, also has around 100 hrs the 14 engine....cant make up my mind which way to go....the pro xs is suppose to be a good eng. I'm fishing out of a 2000 renegade 20 now with a carb, Johnson 225 ho on it, the 20' er handles good in rough water....

ProXS is an excellent motor. As Moutainman stated above, it all boils down to finances really. If you can afford to foot a rebuild, then that Ranger might very well be a good buy. They hold resale like no other. Just me personally, I got tired of fixing so many little nickel and dime things on my old Astro, but it was quite a bit older than this Ranger too, so ymmv

I'd go new. Warranty is/could gonna save money and peace of mind.  I've had several boats. Spent a bunch of money on them too.

have had 2 Rangers. Great boats. I've heard good things about Triton, too.

New and get extended warranty on engine and good to go for several years.  My 2 cents

Warranty is a great thing. My Skeeter was 10 years old when I traded it. Every time I went out after the warranty went out I had that $6000 rebuild in the back of my head. It would suck to buy a $35k boat and have to put $5000 in a rebuild within a year. I'd imagine once the warranty is out on that boat it's gonna be a $28k-$30k boat honestly. You'll be in the hole from the start on it if you ever needed to sale it.

I'm good for another 6 years now. That's a relief. I went with a lighter aluminum boat this time. It's 20 foot but with a 150. Much easier on the wallet to run around on the lake and easier on the fuel bill towing it around. I'm much happier. A 18 Triton would be much easier on the wallet in the same ways.

Edited by SilverFox

look  at the boat blue book resale values... looks like the motor has been replaced with a newer one see if the owner has or can get the warranty extended  for three more years if you decide to get it. But then again you may never need it but its kinda like a spare tire its there if you need it. Good Luck with your decision.