BLL

Lowrance Elite 12 ti

Recently purchased the lowrance elite 12 ti with total scan transducer. Haven't installed it on the boat yet, (it's killing me too)... I plan on doing a review/first impression post after a few trips out with it just thought I'd go ahead and get the conversation started.  From the reviews I've read it seems like it's a pretty good unit for the price. Stay tuned!

I have the elite 7 on my boat. They are great units. I have been thinking of upgrading to the larger screen at my console and moving that 7 unit to my kayak.

That's exactly what I did. I've been running with the elite 7 at the console and nothing up front since the garmin my 05 ranger came with factory quit working.  Moving the 7 to the front and the 12 at the console. 

Remember watching a video on wired2fish once that suggested putting the bigger unit on the bow and the smaller one at the console.. Said you spend more time looking at the one on the bow so it makes sense to have the bigger screen there. Now that being said don't misunderstand.. I have my 12 at the console along with a 9 and a 9 on the bow. Would like to move to a 12 on the bow but going to wait and see what this new tech is coming out in the fall from Lowrance. Suppose to be better than the Humingbird 360.

31 minutes ago, NobbyNobbs said:

Remember watching a video on wired2fish once that suggested putting the bigger unit on the bow and the smaller one at the console.. Said you spend more time looking at the one on the bow so it makes sense to have the bigger screen there. Now that being said don't misunderstand.. I have my 12 at the console along with a 9 and a 9 on the bow. Would like to move to a 12 on the bow but going to wait and see what this new tech is coming out in the fall from Lowrance. Suppose to be better than the Humingbird 360.

I considered putting the 12 up front but for me I mostly fish shallow (even tho I really want to learn to fish offshore) and I'm hopping having the bigger screen and the structure scan at the console will help me find offshore areas that hold fish.  All of this is just a guess as I have no clue where to start looking For fish in deeper water.  I rode in the the boat with Ott Defoe in the final day of the elite on Cherokee and that 360 is really impressive. 

Edited by BLL
Spelling

I personally would rather have the larger screen at the dash, both for easier gps viewing, and also side imaging is more useful at the dash

I was surprised to see that KVD switched to humminbird this year.  One would think if lowrance had something better coming out, he would already have it, doing shake down & development work with it. Lowrance really dropped the ball on this stuff, they have lost alot of money.

I have HDS units and I love lowrance.  Their side and down scan to me is middle of the road.  Their sonar is IMO clearer than humminbird.  I do like humminbirds down and side scan for its clarity but I rely mostly on my sonar.  

On bigger screen at console vs the bow.  I have both my units on Ram mounts and if I'm offshore fishing, one big wing nut,  and three quick connect cords and now the big unit is on the bow, but if I'm pitching and flipping I leave the big unit at the back for better navigation.

34 minutes ago, brwnbass said:

I was surprised to see that KVD switched to humminbird this year.  One would think if lowrance had something better coming out, he would already have it, doing shake down & development work with it. Lowrance really dropped the ball on this stuff, they have lost alot of money.

Pretty sure KVD has been running Hummingbird's for several years. He only added Minn Kota and Talons this year. 

20 hours ago, Peck said:

Pretty sure KVD has been running Hummingbird's for several years. He only added Minn Kota and Talons this year. 

Correct. The KVD editions of the Helix have been out for 2 years now