jreagan

Switching Brands of Oil

I just wanted some insight on something that I've been thinking about doing. I have a 1995 Mercury 200 xri and I have been using Amsoil 2-Stroke oil since I bought the boat last year because that's what the previous owner used. I was thinking about switching to Quicksilver because it it more readily available than Amsoil is it seems like. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by jreagan

I used Quicksilver premium plus when I had a 250XS and had no issues. My dad uses the same thing in his Johnson 200. His motor seems to run better considering he's blown it twice when using the Evinrude oil. Not saying that that was the problem. And yes it is more readily available. When I sold my rig I gave Dad all my empty jugs so all we have to do is get them refilled rather than buying brand new jugs

On 2/27/2018 at 8:42 AM, Jamie De Vera said:

I used Quicksilver premium plus when I had a 250XS and had no issues. My dad uses the same thing in his Johnson 200. His motor seems to run better considering he's blown it twice when using the Evinrude oil. Not saying that that was the problem. And yes it is more readily available. When I sold my rig I gave Dad all my empty jugs so all we have to do is get them refilled rather than buying brand new jugs

+1 on Quicksilver that's all I've ever run in my boat since I've had it, same for prev. Owner. 

Quicksilver is the best I use it in everything 2 stroke never. Had any problems 

I’d considered other oil, but never got away from Quicksilver in the Astro. Never had an issue one. 

Like i said that is all that has ever been put into the merc 115 on the back of my astro and the only troubles i've had from that motor is the carb's having to be rebuilt (after 21 years of use)

+1 on Quicksilver.  As long as you're using a rated oil for your big motor you'll be fine.

Only exception to this is the Pro XS motors. Merc strongly suggests you use DFI oil in place of premium plus. I used to run DFI in the oiler & mix premium plus at 100:1 in the fuel tank. Lots of moving parts in the fuel system that get zero lube (and some amt of moisture with ethanol fuels) until it mixes above the fuel pump. As long as your oil is TCW 3 rated, you're good. Quicksilver makes good oil. Pennzoil makes good oil. Amsoil is a good product.

When I had an Optimax, the dealer told me to run premium plus vs dfi. I did for the year or so that I owned it.

I ran Mystik in my Yamaha HPDI after switching from Yamalube. I did a lot of researching and talked to an insider in the industry and was told by him that Yamalube, Quiksilver and Mystik are the same oils. All produced by Citgo oil company. True? I don't know but they sure look and smell the same. Citgo does own Mystik for sure.

I also run Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel. I've run it in everything for years... my truck, lawnmowers, weed eaters, edgers, blowers, home generator and my boat motors. I run it in my new Yamaha 4 stroke now. I mix it in the gas per the instructions. I also ran it in a high mileage truck in the crankcase. I replaced 1 quart of oil with a quart of MMO. I did this for years. 

When I got my 1998 Skeeter with the 130 on it they told me to run Yamalube in it. I did for break in and then switched to Pennzoil Sythetic/Plus and that is all that has been used in it since 1998 and is still used in it today. The boat is 20 years old, the motor is also 20 years old and it has been in the shop twice. 1st time under warranty to have a brand new complete lower unit installed in 2000 and the 2nd time in 2015 to have the intake pans replaced in the motor which oil had nothing to do with that. Ethanol Fuel caused that after 16 years. The only other times it has been in the shop is for routine maintainence, Lower Unit service, water pumps and tune-ups and Carb choke adjustments.

3 hours ago, SilverFox said:

When I had an Optimax, the dealer told me to run premium plus vs dfi. I did for the year or so that I owned it.