Sign in to follow this  
Riverman1

Changing tm from 12 volt to a 24 volt

I have a 17 foot javelin that has a 12 volt trolling motor and I'm wanting to change it to a 24 volt. What all has to be done to change it over? Will I need to rewire the boat or can I just put in a battery and I'll be good to go.

1 hour ago, Riverman1 said:

I have a 17 foot javelin that has a 12 volt trolling motor and I'm wanting to change it to a 24 volt. What all has to be done to change it over? Will I need to rewire the boat or can I just put in a battery and I'll be good to go.

Depends on if boat was wired for 24 volt TM or just a 12 volt. I will post a picture of a 24 volt system. It should tell you if your boat is wired fro 24 volt or not. If not it will help you redo the wiring so you can go 24 volt. Hope this helps!

BATT_WIRING for 24 volt TM.jpg

Edited by softbaitmaker

It will change how you fish I hated 12v, battery would die way too quickly in the day. my only problem is my bolts started to come loose on high speeds, gave me a real problem the other day. The motorguide bolts that expand in the holes don't last very long. Working on finding a better way to secure it.

My triton 16 storm (aluminum) had those same expandable anchors in the motorguide on it as well what I had to do to install my ulterra with the factory minn Kota bolts was cut a access panel out and cut a aluminum plate to cover the access hole up I cut a hole in the panel for my plug in and the access hole that I cut out was were my old plugin was for the motorguide 

17 foot boat will need 8 gauge to the front for a 70 pound thrust tm to carry the load for up to 20' of wiring. Over that 6 gauge is recommended.