Sign in to follow this  
Jbrown

Cranking

I know everyone is going to criticize this but here it is anyway everyone thinks crankbaits is a dummy bait you just throw it and real it and catch fish but I can not seem to catch fish on cranks I have threw them till my arm throbes and not caught fish there has to be some thing I’m missing  I have thrown deep and middle and shallow stilll no takers do you burn it or slow roll like for instance if fishing spring with a spinner bait I just kinda move it I don’t wake it I just kinda keep it down I do ok but the cranks I just can’t even get bit on so maybe one of you fellows could help me out here

2 hours ago, Jbrown said:

I know everyone is going to criticize this but here it is anyway everyone thinks crankbaits is a dummy bait you just throw it and real it and catch fish but I can not seem to catch fish on cranks I have threw them till my arm throbes and not caught fish there has to be some thing I’m missing  I have thrown deep and middle and shallow stilll no takers do you burn it or slow roll like for instance if fishing spring with a spinner bait I just kinda move it I don’t wake it I just kinda keep it down I do ok but the cranks I just can’t even get bit on so maybe one of you fellows could help me out here

Doesn’t sound crazy to me, I’m in the same boat. I catch some with them but not many. I have a lot more luck with lipless 

Not a dummy bait and don't feel bad.  Have had many outing where I threw a crank bait 1000s of times and never got a bite.  Here are a couple things to consider that may help:  1)  The bait has to hit something.  If it's not banging off of bottom, rocks, or submerged wood you're not deep enough.  2)  Match the hatch.  This means color, size, and shape.  3)  Don't be afraid to  throw weird colors (chartreuse, bite orange or yellow) in stained water.  4)  Bigger doesn't always catch big fish.  My best crank bait fish have all come on smaller profile baits.  See #2 above.  5)  Use the right gear.  I use a MED power, medium action rod for squarebills and medium depth runners.  Anything stiffer will pull the bait away from the fish when you load it up.  I use a MH/moderate rod for deep divers.  I usually spool w/ #12 fluoro.  If the water is gin clear I'll go down to #10.  6)  Change out the factory hooks.  They're not always the best quality.  I like Mustad triple grips.

3 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

Not a dummy bait and don't feel bad.  Have had many outing where I threw a crank bait 1000s of times and never got a bite.  Here are a couple things to consider that may help:  1)  The bait has to hit something.  If it's not banging off of bottom, rocks, or submerged wood you're not deep enough.  2)  Match the hatch.  This means color, size, and shape.  3)  Don't be afraid to  throw weird colors (chartreuse, bite orange or yellow) in stained water.  4)  Bigger doesn't always catch big fish.  My best crank bait fish have all come on smaller profile baits.  See #2 above.  5)  Use the right gear.  I use a MED power, medium action rod for squarebills and medium depth runners.  Anything stiffer will pull the bait away from the fish when you load it up.  I use a MH/moderate rod for deep divers.  I usually spool w/ #12 fluoro.  If the water is gin clear I'll go down to #10.  6)  Change out the factory hooks.  They're not always the best quality.  I like Mustad triple grips.

That pretty much says it all, as far as the speed I try to run mine as slow as I can with it still hitting.

A crankbait is most def not a “dummy bait” there are a WHOLE lot of little intricacies that make a person a Good cranker. I’ll agree with Airborne mostly on the hitting something. 95% of the time, you want that crank banging into something. “If you ain’t digging, you ain’t fishing” is generally the rule. However, there have been times that the majority of my votes have come in open water. Take the classic for the website as an example last year. I was throwing a Spro Little John md 6-8’ deep running bait, most of my bites were coming after I quit having bottom contact over about 10’ of water. Speed, rod angle, color, and may other things factor in. I’m about the opposite of astro180 on the speed, I usually burn most of my cranks, from squarebills to deep divers, I’ll crank a 6xd so hard my shoulder is burning. My opinion is to pick a few different crankbaits that are tried and true fish producers and learn how they work, how deep they dive, and go with that to learn. One of the worst things you can do is overwhelm yourself with a bunch of different baits that you don’t know what the best situations to use them are. Keep your head down and keep cranking. 

10 hours ago, bronzebackhuntr said:

A crankbait is most def not a “dummy bait” there are a WHOLE lot of little intricacies that make a person a Good cranker. I’ll agree with Airborne mostly on the hitting something. 95% of the time, you want that crank banging into something. “If you ain’t digging, you ain’t fishing” is generally the rule. However, there have been times that the majority of my votes have come in open water. Take the classic for the website as an example last year. I was throwing a Spro Little John md 6-8’ deep running bait, most of my bites were coming after I quit having bottom contact over about 10’ of water. Speed, rod angle, color, and may other things factor in. I’m about the opposite of astro180 on the speed, I usually burn most of my cranks, from squarebills to deep divers, I’ll crank a 6xd so hard my shoulder is burning. My opinion is to pick a few different crankbaits that are tried and true fish producers and learn how they work, how deep they dive, and go with that to learn. One of the worst things you can do is overwhelm yourself with a bunch of different baits that you don’t know what the best situations to use them are. Keep your head down and keep cranking. 

David Fritts called this changing directions starting to go up and the fish are on the break they think the bait is trying to get away from them...thats what he said I would not argue with him on CB fishing.

I wouldn't listen to any of this crap. Crankbaits suck & they don't catch fish so don't bother with them. 😉:ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Mountainman said:

I wouldn't listen to any of this crap. Crankbaits suck & they don't catch fish so don't bother with them. 😉:ph34r:

LMAO!! I was waiting for someone to say something along this line..

I'm a cranking fool. If there is one bait I have tied on year round that's it other than a jig. There are many things to take into consideration and everyone has hit the key points on fishing them. I've caught fish without digging bottom but here lately I've had to "finesse" those things on rocks and have been getting bit like no other. Just like most other techniques, it's trial and error! Keep at it and it will pay off especially with the post spawn and summer patterns coming up 😎. Hard to beat a crank at those times!

2 hours ago, Jamie De Vera said:

LMAO!! I was waiting for someone to say something along this line..

I'm a cranking fool. If there is one bait I have tied on year round that's it other than a jig. There are many things to take into consideration and everyone has hit the key points on fishing them. I've caught fish without digging bottom but here lately I've had to "finesse" those things on rocks and have been getting bit like no other. Just like most other techniques, it's trial and error! Keep at it and it will pay off especially with the post spawn and summer patterns coming up 😎. Hard to beat a crank at those times!

+1. I have had times where we've cranked up every species in the lake cranking open water 

3 hours ago, GlitterRocket said:

Boat position!  I see so many people waste 90% of their cast. 

100% agree with this.

7 hours ago, GlitterRocket said:

Boat position!  I see so many people waste 90% of their cast. 

What’s the best boat position? 45* and parrelling the bank? I have trouble figuring out the best way to position the boat. 

What Andy said lol. 

It all depends on what I'm fishing for my boat position, but once that first fish gets in the boat I try to duplicate it and since I don't have a spot lock trolling motor, I have to triangulate to keep my position

I personally drastically increased my percentages when I started casting parallel or angled to the bank, vs straight at the bank. I’m no expert, but I believe it keeps the bait in the depth range for a much greater amount of time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Buckeye83 said:

What’s the best boat position? 45* and parrelling the bank? I have trouble figuring out the best way to position the boat. 

If your partner is having to push the boat off the bank with the net then you are almost close enough .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, blind hawg said:

If your partner is having to push the boat off the bank with the net then you are almost close enough .

Been there and done that plenty of times 

1 hour ago, blind hawg said:

I got yeah. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the ton of info and boat position maybe the problem too that helps a lot and I may be use if to stiff of rods too I been using a st croix med hev 7.2 so maybe I will try one of my enigma in med I really do appreciate it I am going to try it latter on this week if work will let up a lil

2 hours ago, Jbrown said:

Thanks for the ton of info and boat position maybe the problem too that helps a lot and I may be use if to stiff of rods too I been using a st croix med hev 7.2 so maybe I will try one of my enigma in med I really do appreciate it I am going to try it latter on this week if work will let up a lil

Rod makes a huge difference, especially once they’re hooked. Dixie Customs X Glass are the shiz for cranking 

Went cranking last night with this thread in mind. Kept my boat on the bank and banged the lure off every log rock and rip rap in the TN river, 3 hrs no fish. Picked up a Shakey head and got a bite immediately. I wish I could say this was the first time this has happened. I was quite frustrated until Johnny paycheck "Colorado Kool aid" came on my Bluetooth speaker

Sometimes they just won't bite a crankbait, because they aren't in a chasing mood. They will only bite something that stays in their area too long. Crankbaits tend to pass by quickly. This is why i have taught myself to "drag" a crankbait. Pull it so slow that it nearly floats up or quits wiggling. I pull it with the rod alot, a few inches at a time & have actually felt the bait hit fish, feel them move out of the way of the bait, & then come back & bite it.

Don't forget line size makes a difference too. Most people including myself use 12lb fluorocarbon but I think I may be going down to 10 on some cranks. Color will also make a big difference. Trial and error bro!

Trial and error only way to learn. I say all the time it’s hard to catch another mans fish don’t do something because it’s what another fisherman does. Gotta believe in what YOU are doin. Confidence is key. Try to think about where fish should be and why. When water first gets around 50ish I believe crawdads start to come out so I fish a craw colored bait where crawdads should be. When fish get closer to spawning I throw bluegill colored baits around spawning areas I believe they will tryin kill the bluegills around where they wanna spawn. Follow the fish and the bait fish and adjust accordingly. I don’t believe you have to be hitting bottom all the time just depends on what fish are doing if you see fish hanging around bait on your sonar this time of year tie on a bait for according depth and type of baitfish and go to work they are there to feed. That being said a lot of the time making contact with bottom, rocks, wood or doing something with your retrieve is what triggers them to react but I don’t think there is any particular angle or retrieve or fancy rod and reel gonna make the fish bite every time. I’ve caught just as many on a $75 combo as a $350 combo. Gotta get bites first then you can narrow down rod, reel, and line combos to your own liking. I personally think a graphite rod would be better for someone who is trying to learn or gain confidence because you can better feel what your bait is doing. Sorry to be long winded just my ten cents.