Sign in to follow this  
Jbrown

Stratos 295 1998 model

Ok here is my question what should this boat run it’s got a 200 Johnson venom on its day all I’m getting is around 50 mph it’s got a 6 inch jack plate and. Raker prop I can’t tell what pitch it is but it has these numbers and letters on it 2206 s 1207s  

Never been in one of those. But Kirk has a newer 294 with a 200 and it runs 70. I would think you should be running no less than 65 in that. How many rpm are you turning at WOT? 

You should be able to tell the spline and pitch on the prop via hub. Dad runs a 14½x24 Raker on his 200GT/201 Pro combo all we can hit is 50 if we are lucky. Anywho, back to you. Check the hub and you should see it. May need a flashlight though lol. 

I have a hydrosport 17.5 foot with 86 johnson vro 70 hp that runs 50 by myself and 46 with loaded down I say the prop needs more pitch to it is my guess if the  boat hole shot is super fast you have low pitch prop good for hole shot sucks on top end speed loose a little hole shot with higher pitch but u gain it on the top end may need twick with jackplate some too hope this helps you out a little and you should stay below 5000 rpm if you can just  a good rule of thumb

Do you mean he should cruise around 5000 rpm, or that’s the max rpm it should run? If the latter, I highly disagree. Idk what the max rpm is on a venom, guessing roughly 6,000, but you should always be able to hit the redline or you’re overpropped. Too low of max rpm can screw up an engine a lot faster than overreving, and at least that you can control. 

As for speed, imo a 200 horse should be able to move that thing in the 60’s easy, so either the setup is way wrong (prop, motor height, trim), or your motor is sick. My .02

Bluejig.... punctuation dude. :D

I'd say something isn't right. My aluminum boat will run 50 with a 150hp motor and it doesn't have a padded hull. I'd also say it isn't your prop pitch that's causing the issue. The pitch is on average only good for 2-3 mph unless you're way off. If the prop isn't crap and the pitch isn't way off, you've got other issues. Good luck.

What you need to do one day when you have nothing else to do is to head to the lake and just run and experiment. Run loaded and unloaded and you'll figure out where your jack plate needs to be set, what prop you need and everything else you need to know. 😎

Thanks my rpms trimmed all the way up is at 5200 my water pressure is at 60 pound and my engine purrs like kitten which I know the hulls are completely different but I’m comeing out of a Norris craft and it would get up and run but I had the jack up and spacers to put me out to about ten inches it would run low 70 high 60 it hard not think I could get the same out of this Stratos I’m going to go play with it in a bit my buddy got a 25 pitch 4 blade renagade we going to try and see if that helps and I’m jacking it up I can’t even let the motor all the way it hits the ground so may some of this will help if not I will have a 295 pro elite for sale

I know it's not apples to apples, but my 1999 Nitro Nx 882 with a 150 merc will run low to mid 60s. I believe I run a 23 pitch 4 blade. I also had a 17' Stratos before this Nitro and it would run mid 40's with a 90hp on it.

I'd check your prop to pad dimension and go from there, sounds like you are too low on the jackplate. My nitro was around 5" prop to pad when I bought it. I couldn't lower the motor down to level because it hit the ground before it got level. I raised it up to about 3.5" and it made a world of difference. Just make sure you mark where it is and after each adjustment, so you can always get back to the best setup. Each brand and even boat will have a different sweet spot. 

Not exactly your year, but similar sounding problem. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=603565 

Edited by Peck

Just got home and looked inside the prop is a 14 1/2 x 24 I won’t get to play with it till tomorrow got to mow wife is gripping says we gona get snakes lol

Lol. I hear that. I honestly think the 24 is too small for the 200s. Dad is having issues with his and we are thinking about trading the 24 for a 26. However, I think his is other things as well. I think if you get a 26 Raker you'll be fine but I'd still check the motor height before changing props.

Again, idk anything about a venom, but 5200 rpm sounds awful low to me. 

That's about right. When Dad had his dragged out, both he and I would run the same rpms which was 5900 on my rig and I think I hit 5800 on his running 72 and I hit 79 in mine. Since he has blown it twice now it is closer to stock as it is going to get and we may end up having to re set it up

I am I called my mechanic I guess I am just going to pay him to go the lake with me and he going to set it up and work with it he said it was definitely to low and that I needed I 26 pitch prop he also said it could be my carbs are dirty and sticking so I will let y’all know

So let me see if I understand- your mechanic said the rpm is definitely too low, and he’s going to ride on the lake with you to work on setup, plus carbs or what not, yet he automatically suggests going from a 24 to 26 pitch prop, which would LOWER the rpm down even more?????

What am I missing here?

No I mis understood the prop part but yes I will let you know how it does tomorrow he said all we need to adjust height is a couple 3/4 wrenches going to try raising it at the lake 

Raised it 1 3/4 inch got 5600 rpm and 61 so I’m happy said I still got about a inch of wanted it but that fast enough for me

That’s works man. Glad to hear. When driving a boat. The difference between 50 to 60, and then 60 to 70 are huge differences. I’d get that thing dialed in perfect, better to have it able to run at optimal performance and let off of it some, than to be WOT with it bogged down. Sounds like you’re close.