Sign in to follow this  

In case you haven't heard the 2 stroke motor is soon to be a thing of the past. 4 stroke manufacturing only from here on our is what I hear. 

You hear correct. The Pro XS 2 strokes are being phased out for their new 4 stroke that was unveiled at the Miami boat show earlier this year.

I hate that I think the two strokes are better just my opinions 

Ummmm, I got a slightly different story from the folks at Watson's.  Yes, Merc is trying to recapture 4-stroke market share but there was a reason they didn't go higher than the 225 on their new model.  Their engineers believe the aggregate emissions rating for Merc marine motors will drop low enough w/ the HP ratings they'll offer on the new line to continue making the more powerful 2-strokes w/o EPA penalty.  The Pro XS may be replaced at some time but it won't be soon, according to the Watson's staff.

Now, if California invades the rest of the country and attempts to overlay its obsessive-compulsive environmental laws on us marine motors will be a thing of the past . . . period.

2 hours ago, Jbrown said:

I hate that I think the two strokes are better just my opinions 

I disagree. I have owned, worked on & been around both for a long time. The four stroke, especially the Japanese models, are exponentially more reliable. I'd put a 250 SHO up against any other 250 on the market for longevity, reliability, cost of ownership & resale value. Fuel efficiency, which is a big issue, is a mute point. There's virtually zero difference between a 250 pro XS & a SHO.

23 minutes ago, 31Airborne said:

Ummmm, I got a slightly different story from the folks at Watson's.  Yes, Merc is trying to recapture 4-stroke market share but there was a reason they didn't go higher than the 225 on their new model.  Their engineers believe the aggregate emissions rating for Merc marine motors will drop low enough w/ the HP ratings they'll offer on the new line to continue making the more powerful 2-strokes w/o EPA penalty.  The Pro XS may be replaced at some time but it won't be soon, according to the Watson's staff.

Now, if California invades the rest of the country and attempts to overlay its obsessive-compulsive environmental laws on us marine motors will be a thing of the past . . . period.

My post above came from a lengthy conversation with the Merc contingent at the classic last month. Everyone from the booth guys to the expo team to the mechanics trailer guys said the Pro XS is on its way out. If....big if.....the emissions laws don't change, they cannot make the pro xs meet epa regs. Yes, they hope to find a way to keep making 2 strokes, but the future of them is indeed at great risk. My opinion is simply that dealers are trying to keep mass hysteria & panic in the loss of 2 strokes from affecting their sales figures. Look at it like this, if you're Merc & Yamaha dealer, you have a lot of available Merc inventory. Yamaha is back ordered for months in advance. If the rumor of no more Merc 2 strokes becomes fact, you'll have a lot of inventory sitting in the store, simply because no one wants a discontinued product. Again, just my opinion....not fact based at all.

This isn’t the least bit surprising. They’ve been talking about phasing out 2 strokes for years. When the higher horsepower 4 strokes first came out, they were bulky, heavy, and didn’t have the “oomph”. But now all those slight disadvantages have been worked out, while retaining all the advantages of a 4 stroke- noise, emissions, reliability, and not needing to add any oil. On the one hand, I loved the sound of my old Mariner. But on the other hand, I’d (barely) hear some of the 4 bangers taking off, and I’d think to myself dang, this noise does start wearing me out on a long run. Obviously the newer 2 strokes are fairly quiet in comparison, but still not like a 4 imo

Can’t you turn more rpms out of two stroke though if I’m wrong please correct me.

They'll both turn about the same. 250 horse around 6,000-6200. My pro xs would hit 6160 & 76 mph topped out unloaded. My current sho hits 6000 & 74.8 topped out unloaded. 2 different hulls, of course. They will all come apart at some point, just a matter of when. 2 strokes are generally cheaper to rebuild, but there's not a ton of difference there, either.

23 hours ago, Mountainman said:

I disagree. I have owned, worked on & been around both for a long time. The four stroke, especially the Japanese models, are exponentially more reliable. I'd put a 250 SHO up against any other 250 on the market for longevity, reliability, cost of ownership & resale value. Fuel efficiency, which is a big issue, is a mute point. There's virtually zero difference between a 250 pro XS & a SHO.

My post above came from a lengthy conversation with the Merc contingent at the classic last month. Everyone from the booth guys to the expo team to the mechanics trailer guys said the Pro XS is on its way out. If....big if.....the emissions laws don't change, they cannot make the pro xs meet epa regs. Yes, they hope to find a way to keep making 2 strokes, but the future of them is indeed at great risk. My opinion is simply that dealers are trying to keep mass hysteria & panic in the loss of 2 strokes from affecting their sales figures. Look at it like this, if you're Merc & Yamaha dealer, you have a lot of available Merc inventory. Yamaha is back ordered for months in advance. If the rumor of no more Merc 2 strokes becomes fact, you'll have a lot of inventory sitting in the store, simply because no one wants a discontinued product. Again, just my opinion....not fact based at all.

I'm trackin', Andy.  It's smart business - especially in manufacturing - to limit the models/variations and focus on a narrower line.  That's how you eliminate variance, enable quality.

My FoM partner's Skeeter had a SHO 250 on it.  It was bullet proof.  Great hole shot.  A little slower on top end speed but that prob a function of how much crap he kept in the boat (besides me). 

I had heard rumors that there will be an announcement/press release from Mercury later this month. Rumor is that the Verados will be replaced with a new V-8 4-stroke line that will handle the 250hp and above motors. Only time will tell but I do believe the 2-strokes are soon to be history (I heard that 2019 will be the last year).

Aren't rumors fun? Keeps everyone guessing.

I heard 2020 was the last 2 stroke year model, but who knows. This new 4 stroke Merc model is supposed to be the best out there. Time will tell, I suppose.

My Merc 4 stroke is a pain but it's mostly bevsuse there aren't any parts available. It's a 2008  50 hp 4 stroke and apparently they didn't make many. Powerhead is fine but people have a hard time doing any work on it. Mechanics mostly say they have never seen them except in salt water 

I've owned both as well..

I like my four stroke better. 

My first boat was an old stroker I just mixed my fuel and ran, second was an Evinrude vro. It had the separate tank for the oil and mixed itself. That sounds like a great idea but that system was notorious for failure and you wouldn't know it till the engine blew. I was always paranoid of that. I eventually just removed it and started mixing fuel as before.

Now with the four stroke I just pop the cover pull out the dipstick check it and I'm good to go. Just a much easier engine to operate imo.

Just got an email from Mercury and there will be an announcement on May 18th. No other info.

Ok so I have not been keeping up with motors cause my Yamaha 130 has been bullet proof since 1998 when I got it brand new. Mostly just maintenance and minor issues. I know back about 10 years ago I did look at putting a 4 stroke on my SR18 Skeeter and I was told they could not put one on because the baot would not flat one cause they are to heavy for my boat. Have they figured out how to make them lighter so when time comes I can put a 4 stroke on my Skeeter?

Doug - Merc is saying their new 4-strokes weigh the ~same as the Opti-maxes.

I went with the Pro XS on my new sled.  Airborne needs all the ponies hims can get.

1 hour ago, 31Airborne said:

Doug - Merc is saying their new 4-strokes weigh the ~same as the Opti-maxes.

I went with the Pro XS on my new sled.  Airborne needs all the ponies hims can get.

Well I am not really into the horses cause I run a 130 Yamaha but back years ago they told me a 130 4 Stroke would weigh to much for my boat so I could not get one put on it. I'm just curious if Yamaha has got the 130 four strokes down in weight so if I should need a new motor I can get a 4 stroke put on my boat.

1 hour ago, blind hawg said:

20180504_195327.png

Just my personal opinion and I’m sure it will differ from most. But I think it’s sexy. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:53 PM, 31Airborne said:

Doug - Merc is saying their new 4-strokes weigh the ~same as the Opti-maxes..

Correct. What few advantages 2 bangers had, like weight, are no longer true