Sign in to follow this  
FDRB3

Bladed jigs

Alright guys, it seems almost every BFL, FLW, Elite Series tournament I’ve read about has had a bladed jigs in top 5, if not winning. In October of last year I made up my mind that no matter what it took, I was going to start catching fish on it, since then, I’ve had at least one rod with a rage blade or chatter bait tied on when im on the lake, I’ve thrown just about every time I’ve been out, it has countless uses and customizations that it seems like the perfect bass lure, yet here it is, almost May, and the only fish I’ve caught on it was a 1.5lbs small mouth, and that was in February. What am I doing wrong with this thing? I’ve used every skirt color, blade color, weight, trailers from swimbaits to creatures to white senkos, I can’t seem to make this happen. And I know if I can get the hang of it, it has the capability of being my favorite lure, heck I love throwing it, but sometimes it’d be nice to pull something in with it instead of the oft broken tree limb. 

• Like 1

Don't ask me. I have two of them that I got out of trees while fishing and have only bought one other but have yet to tie one on.

Seems to me it works best in stained water or water with grass. Find you a windy point where you would throw a spinnerbait and chunk the bladed jig, chatter bait or what ever you want to call it. It does work.

I love a bladed jig, fish it just like a spinnerbait around laydowns, docks, etc. It does excel with wind and a little stain to the water. Don’t be scared to throw one at night either. 

• Thanks 1

I have rigged them with dark colored twin tailed grubs and worked them on the bottom 

Like any new bait, it always takes a lil time to figure out the when/where/how pieces.  For me, the bladed jig is something that comes into play during the shad spawn, when fishing over/near grass, and when fishing stained water.  I'll use it interchangeably with the spinnerbait in windy conditions. 

18 hours ago, FDRB3 said:

Alright guys, it seems almost every BFL, FLW, Elite Series tournament I’ve read about has had a bladed jigs in top 5, if not winning. In October of last year I made up my mind that no matter what it took, I was going to start catching fish on it, since then, I’ve had at least one rod with a rage blade or chatter bait tied on when im on the lake, I’ve thrown just about every time I’ve been out, it has countless uses and customizations that it seems like the perfect bass lure, yet here it is, almost May, and the only fish I’ve caught on it was a 1.5lbs small mouth, and that was in February. What am I doing wrong with this thing? I’ve used every skirt color, blade color, weight, trailers from swimbaits to creatures to white senkos, I can’t seem to make this happen. And I know if I can get the hang of it, it has the capability of being my favorite lure, heck I love throwing it, but sometimes it’d be nice to pull something in with it instead of the oft broken tree limb. 

I'm still 0fer lifetime with a chatterbait

I know it’s a good bait for grassy areas but on south Holston, it’s all brush. I fish south Holston 95% of the time, so that’s where I’m trying to make it happen. The only strikes I’ve gotten have mainly been slow rolling the rage blade, but I’ve tried every cadence possible, the only thing I don’t like with the chatter bait is that it seems much harder to work slowly, aside from dragging it and stopping, otherwise I find it pretty hard to keep down, even with the 3/4 oz heads. I’ve yet to try it during late spring and early summer, which I have more confidence fishing anyway, but after that, if I’ve not signifactly improved, it’s going in the ol pond fishing box. 

Its a bait thats made to fish slow, and in cooler water. Early spring when fish are staging up to spawn is when it shines.

• Thanks 1

I've caught fish with them year round. From farm ponds to lakes, I have caught them on white, black and blue and green pumpkin. I use the white during the times of the year when the shad are the most active, green pumpkin in just about all water conditions except for low light/muddy, that is when I toss on the black and blue.

I rolling it in along the shallow banks especially places with rocky or gravel bottoms. The rocks or gravel must do something to the sound it makes that drives them into either a feeding frenzy or an "that's annoying, I'm gonna kill it frenzy" It's one of my favorite ways to fish the area around Defeated Creek campgound on Cordell Hull.

I use the Z-Man version and then one that I make but I can't sell it due to Z-Man's patents on the thing. They have a patent on the direct hook eye to blade connection, as well as the custom design of the blades that they use. They are also not shy of taking people to court over it. I know for a fact they have threatened several other small manufacturers and have taken larger ones to court over this bait.

Edited by Karma

I like the project z bait the best so far. Haven't tried the evergreen/zman sledge hammer yet tho, 15 bucks is a little high for me to pay for it. I like to throw it in late summer/fall all the way thru spring. It works good in fall in the dingy water, back in creeks. I use white/shad colors & bluegill colors.