Sign in to follow this  
P-Line

so last year I started using P-Line Flouroclear as line on my cranking rods. I thought it would be nice, a mono line with flourocarbon around it. I liked it for the purpose it did, it was still sensitive, not as much as 100% Flourocarbon but it was still nice just a little "duller" on the feel. It worked well and I caught plenty of fish with it. This year I respooled my cranking rods with it and... well I have never had so many line snaps and breaks. It has me scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on here?

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about P-Lines quality going down or if they had experienced the same thing themselves?

I had a monster on the other day, easily 8 lbs. I was stoked, I was all ready to take measurements and photos and have a replica mount made. I was looking in the water at her with my eyes bugging out and as my partner ran forward with the net... *SNAP* the line broke. I just sat down put my face in my hands and cried. Then I took all the line off and immediately replaced it with Stren Flourocarbon (I can already see Doug shaking his head) that fish would have easily been my PB.

I haven't had any problems with P-line. But i use the cheap stuff (C-21 $5- $6 a 300yd spool ). Its a copolymer line, is very strong, fairly abrasion resistant & clear. Doesn't have a bad memory ( works ok on spinning reels) that i have seen. I use a ton of line on my cranking rods, so it would be expensive for me to use $10 a spool line, not to mention $20 floro. I use 10lb for crankin, 15 for jigs/worms & 20 for flippin. Have had very little break offs that weren't my fault.

Karma - it may be a case of weathering.  Weather (esp extreme heat or cold) will ruin fishing line.  If you've kept the rods spooled w/ the Fuoroclear in places where they're constantly exposed to  the ups-n-downs of weather that's prob the case.

I use Fluoroclear on my jerkbait rods.  I like the fact that it floats. Allows me to pick up those subtle bites.  I've had no issues w/ breaking.

I keep my rods in the rod locker on my boat but it shouldn't be weathering. I bought it from Cabelas or BPS (dont remember which) in Bristol and brought it home, put it on the spool and went fishing with it the next day.

I was hoping I came across a bad batch but then googling last night I found this... http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=327851

perhaps its not just me. Even though this is a few years old.

Idk if it’s relevant, but I’ve always used P-Line CXX mono with success, but my last batch of it had some serious line memory issues, so maybe they’re having qc issues?