Sign in to follow this  
bronzebackhuntr

Crappie Fishing

Hey guys, been thinking about trying to do some crappie Fishing with the kiddos just to get them on some fish and have a tasty meal to boot. Anyone have any tips/tricks/pointers as to where to start or anything. I’ve NEVER crappie fished and have no idea where to even start. 

15 hours ago, bronzebackhuntr said:

Hey guys, been thinking about trying to do some crappie Fishing with the kiddos just to get them on some fish and have a tasty meal to boot. Anyone have any tips/tricks/pointers as to where to start or anything. I’ve NEVER crappie fished and have no idea where to even start. 

I’m in the exact same boat, I’m interested in any tips and techniques 

Once you find em, assuming you’re willing to use live bait, hard to go wrong with small minnows on hair jigs or roosters. At least for me. Haven’t fished for em in forever, though. 

They're deep, Douglas anyway, and schooled up pretty tight.  Some guys I know fish for them from daylight to mid-morning. Find with electronics and use minnows.

But when my children were small I preferred  to get some wax worms and bobber fish for bluegills. They're thicker than fleas at the pound!    Keeps the youngun's occupied catching fish as it's faster and more reliable in the summer.

But you can find crappie if you search for them.   Drifting along river channel above Walters Bridge can be good.

Light wire hook, med size split shot. 6lb line, minnows. Try to find brush in the 20 to 40' range. Crappie are up biters, so if you mark them at 25', drop your bait to 20 or so, because they usually won't go down to get it, but they will come up. Watch your line close, crappie will often bite & sit still & the only thing you will see is slight slack in the line. Don't waste too much time in one spot, if you don't get bit in 15 or 20 mins, move on.

He pretty well covered It, if your fishing at night foe them I do good around bridge piers at night fishing under lights.

Fishing at night best in summer hang green light take plenty of miners and have lots of fun you can also luck up and catch walleye this way on Douglas