Sign in to follow this  
Triton vs. Nitro

lol I hope this does not start some massive debate but I was looking for opinions.

My Tracker 175 has served me well and I enjoy fishing it, it has given me an advantage of being able to get into places most fiberglass boats wouldn't dare. With that being said, it's down falls to me are it's stability, storage and speed. I have been considering it for a while but I was planning on trading it in on a Triton next spring/summer but... being from German decent, I have a tendency to over analyze and do a lot of research.. so I am taking notes and preparing for this months in advance to make sure I get exactly what I want without breaking my piggy bank.

I have checked out the Triton TRX189 at S&R Marine in Cookeville. It seemed to be a solid boat, from a manufacturer with a solid reputation and a nice price tag. 18.8 feet long with a 94 inch beam with a 150 motor for around $31k. All in all, that sounds like a fairly good deal all things considered. The most glaring thing that I do not like about this boat is the lack of a middle seat. Not a huge deal to most but occasionally I take a young cousin, nephew or niece out with me or their father so I would really like to have one.

Stopping by Bass Pros and looking at the Nitro line, I really was not impressed with them at all initially until I started watching some youtube videos on the boats. They had a lot more features than originally meets the eyes and I have been more than impressed with their Z20. You are looking at a 20 foot boat with a 96 inch beam and a 250 hp motor for around $39k. It has an optional middle seat (the Triton may as well but I have not asked) and just some other great features I was impressed with. The spare prop and storage area in the rear for example. They seemed to have a lot of innovative features standard that the Tritons do not. However, the reputation of Nitro..... not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers that owns one... no where near as good as Tritons. That being said however; those reputations may have been made/earned years ago before these new line up of boats have came out back in the dark ages when transoms were still being made of wood.

Anyway, with that being said... I was wondering what opinions on here would be. I know that several of you have just bought both makes of boats.

2 of the most important factors to consider when buying a new boat is 1) warranty quality and 2) resale value. 

Doesn't the 189 come with a larger engine? Tonys trx18 came with a 200, and it's one awesome boat. Runs 70 with 2 people and water in the livewell, rockets outta the hole, has a wider front deck than my tr-21x (06') has, and drives like a go-cart. IMO, its gotta be the biggest bang for your buck out there. The only category that Nitro beats Triton is price....no brainer man...

What I have found with the Nitros is that you have to look VERY carefully at what is included vs what you want....

Some people are very happy with Nitro. And perhaps their construction issues have been resolved. My issue is this- they’re not the bargain that they seem on paper. By the time you add the options to get it where you really want it, it seems you’re not saving any real money vs. anything else on the market. 

2 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Some people are very happy with Nitro. And perhaps their construction issues have been resolved. My issue is this- they’re not the bargain that they seem on paper. By the time you add the options to get it where you really want it, it seems you’re not saving any real money vs. anything else on the market. 

I just ordered a tr179 I looked at nitro and the model I would want there was only 17’ as opposed to the 179 being 18 1/2, I ordered the triton with everything I wanted included a spotlock TM(that I’m totally stoked for) and if I put all that on the nitro the slightly bigger boat probably wouldn’t be much more. That being said I really liked the z20, but I couldn’t do it because it’s important to me to store my boat in my garage and only have a 9’ door. I am trading in a 17’ nitro that I got great use out of and really enjoyed. I can’t wait for the new ride to come in in late august

You could look at a Skeeter ZX190. It’s $33,495 right now. Helluva bargain imo, for an awesome constructed machine. 

3 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

You could look at a Skeeter ZX190. It’s $33,495 right now. Helluva bargain imo, for an awesome constructed machine. 

I will look into that.

I went to the lake today and there was a guy I know getting ready to load up his Triton, we started talking about it and he asked if I wanted to go for a ride on it. We ran a few miles down the river and back. Pretty dang nice boat, he had a 2006 model but it looked brand new a TR20 I think? duel console. I am not really a fan of the duel console, I always sit down there to tie on new lures or work on something. I was impressed with the boat.

I may end up pulling the trigger earlier than I was planning. I have always had trouble loading up my Tracker and tonight in the dark I was trying to load it up and ended up falling and injuring my knee ... again. The same knee I have multiple surgeries on... busted it up pretty bad swollen and bleeding, got it in ice and gaws now. Don't think I did anything too serious but enough to get me thinking. That is the hardest boat to load up I have ever had or used.

11 hours ago, GlitterRocket said:

Doesn't the 189 come with a larger engine? Tonys trx18 came with a 200, and it's one awesome boat. Runs 70 with 2 people and water in the livewell, rockets outta the hole, has a wider front deck than my tr-21x (06') has, and drives like a go-cart. IMO, its gotta be the biggest bang for your buck out there. The only category that Nitro beats Triton is price....no brainer man...

no the largest recommended engine for the 189 is the 150.

You are more than welcome to take a ride in mine . 2018 18TRX with a Mercury 200 Pro XS . I think it's the same size as a 189 .

I buy whatever brand I prefer. Have 21ft Skeeter now but I've had couple Rangers and few others as well. I'm older so I've owned a few.  I think warranty and available dealer service is most important. And resale should be considered strongly.  

You'll be happier, I think, if you buy a boat that best suits you rather than which brand.  I feel confident in local dealer taking care of warranty issues and it's within 15 mins of home.

18 hours ago, Tubejig said:

I buy whatever brand I prefer. Have 21ft Skeeter now but I've had couple Rangers and few others as well. I'm older so I've owned a few.  I think warranty and available dealer service is most important. And resale should be considered strongly.  

You'll be happier, I think, if you buy a boat that best suits you rather than which brand.  I feel confident in local dealer taking care of warranty issues and it's within 15 mins of home.

well we have two dealerships in Cookeville. S&R Marine - Tritons and Cookeville RV and Marine - Nitros. So the dealerships are both there if need be. I am leaning more towards the Triton at this point, it would have the higher resell value and everyone I have spoken to that owns one loves it. Not to mention I think I would be getting a better deal despite the difference in horse power. The Triton 189 runs 60-62 mph with the 150 motor and the Nitro runs 70-75 mph with the 250. To me that is not that big of a deal. There is a lot of debris in the water on some of the lakes I fish so I won't be running WOT all the time. Not to mention, my current boats top speed is 34 mph...

The Triton has a base price of around 31k, toss in 2 power poles and some nice electronics and I am on the same price point as the base level Nitro, with about a 10 mph difference and a boat load (pun intended) of money saved.