Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

7-8

Me and ole Wes, aka Zombie Hunter, decided to take the ole Jon boat out, and give Beech Creek a whirl. That’s one cool little lake (not literally- it was liking fishing under a heat lamp). Not sure about the water temps, since I haven’t had a chance to get graphs mounted on my Jon, but the water certainly felt cooler than our usual lake temps, this time of year. I wish the fishing had been a little better. Wes caught a few. We both had a bunch either short strike, or come loose near the boat. Otherwise there was a lot of slow time out there. Did a lot of flipping into the grass, and top water on the weed edges, but couldn’t get much going in the heavy grass. We ran upstream past the bridge, to the little bluff walls, and that’s where we started getting the bites. All of my bites came off shakey head, though I didn’t get any into the boat. Wes’ fish were caught on jig, I believe. Hotter than Kate Beckinsale in a 2 piece, and a slow bite, but we had a fun day. Wish we’d caught some more fish (and I’m wishing I’d not forgotten my neck gaiters), but awesome little lake. Looking forward to getting back there soon 

Anyone have advice for the next trip out there, besides not going at high noon in July? 

11 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Anyone have advice for the next trip out there, besides not going at high noon in July? 

I’ve never been there but they typically gather under the grass mats midday where I fish down south. Frog or heavy sinker seems to be the trick 

We tried both. Of course in the case of punching, I think we both needed more weight. That grass is insane thick. For whatever reason, they wouldn’t hit a frog for nothing. Maybe it was just one of those days. 

I've punched on beech creek with 1.5 oz which is heavier than most suggest to use at Gville.

28 minutes ago, Mountainman said:

I've punched on beech creek with 1.5 oz which is heavier than most suggest to use at Gville.

I use 1-1 1/2 oz depending on the thickness of where I’m punching. I’ve got a halo xxxh rod that’s a Randall Tharpe design that I use for it. 

Thanks fellas. Definitely need to go heavier next time out. 

Thats an interesting place for sure.  Ended up with a couple, one on a jig and one flipping into the grass.  That little 1lb fish in the grass buried up and sounded like I had a monster on when my rod/line started squeaking.  

I bet there are some Giants in that place!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this