Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

River fishing

Ok guys, so along with the lake fishing during my week off, I hit the French Broad right below Douglas dam Saturday, and the Holston just below Asheville highway bridge yesterday before work. Notice I didn’t post any reports.........can someone give me advice on fishing these &@$%! rivers??!! Every single time I ever go out river fishing, I either come away with an eggshell, or maybe one lucky dink. I can’t find maps for structure on any of em, and though I can read the water and see eddies and all of that, where fish should be lying in wait, I can’t ever pull anything out. Only time I’ve ever done well in rivers, is either fishing for cats or trout. Maybe I should just stay in still water, like the good Lord intended.......

I fished holston Under that bridge yesterday evening (stayed literally under it for a while because of the downpour. ) we caught some tiny smallmouth and sunfish on crankbait, hair jig, and inline spinner. it’s pretty tough sledding right there this year. I did get a sauger and a drum trolling after my buddies left right before dark. There are big fish in the area, but they are pretty smart I guess. Maybe try Fishing as deep as you can out in the middle of the deep holes, there are some humps and sharp ledges here and there. Do you have a depth finder on the kayak? Also just remembered if you were fishing the holston in the morning, I’m guessing the water was raging so that makes it a lot tougher. Spinnerbaits jerkbaits and loud topwater seems better during generation 

Edited by rusty50576

Me and Eric were fishing the evening bite. I’ve got a Lowrance hook 5, but all it kept showing was grass. Needless to say, we both said f this place. LOL 

This time of year the faster the water is moving the better it is. Look at the edes just off the sholes. 

Dude, fish the eddys with a med size swimbait ( keitech 3.3 or 3.8) on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz head. Get downstream of the eddy, & cast across it. Let your bait sweep downstream, & keep it off the bottom. The fish will lay in the seam between the fast water & the slack water. They will dart out & grab stuff being swept by. Keep your line tight, but don't reel it too much, just let it ride. I've caught some nice fish below douglas like this.

I fish shoals any where there is a current break in the current a big rock a bucket anything rock ledge and i fish tubes and peanut jigs flukes and all famous square  bills

Edited by Jbrown