Sign in to follow this  
Jbrown

Fox squirrel tail

Anyone ever use the red one to the flys it looks good I think I’m gona try it think it would make good jigs if the hair long enough 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jbrown said:

Anyone ever use the red one to the flys it looks good I think I’m gona try it think it would make good jigs if the hair long enough 

The Mepps Inline spinner bait has Red Fox Squirrel hair on their baits along with the Grey Squirrel tails hairs. Back many years ago when I was just a youngster Mepps use to advertise for Squirrel Tails and they would buy them from you if you made sure you salted and preserved them properly. They would pay 25 cents each for them and me and my buddy Dave would send them 200+ a year for about 3 years and then all at once they quit the program. I don't know if they found an alternative artificial material or what. I would fish both of their colors but seemed to catch more fish on the Grey tail baits than the Brown Fox tails. Might have just been an area thing since it was up north before I moved south. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:59 AM, Mountainman said:

Mepps still.does this on occasion. Sent them about 50 three years ago

I have not paid much attention so did'nt know if they were still doing it or not.

I had heard they bought tails, but didnt pay much. I have some beagle hair flies around somewhere that i tied years ago for fnf, lol. I bought some small tightline hair jigs last year that are made with "false chupacabra" hair.

• Haha 1