Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye83

3/6/19 Good Smallmouth Bite

Recommended Posts

Finally made it out for some fun fishing!! The river was much warmer than I thought it would be. 57 when we launched and found it as warm as 62 up in the afternoon. Started off throwing a single swim bait with no takers. Started throwing a small crank and started catch fish. We caught 11 smallmouth and 4 largemouth by 10:30. 

After that we swapped to fishing for bluegill and shellcrackers. We wanted something for the skillet. End up catch 18 keepers and my B-I-L caught the biggest shellcracker I’ve ever seen.  Check out the pic. It was every bit of a pound. That sucker had shoulders. It was a good day to just relax and fish a little!!! Needed that for sure!!

B1D51D2A-2F07-4186-8421-6DB0DA3B0586.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good day. Im gonna have to try some shellcrackers, i here they are really good to eat. And they get big on norris too, like 3lbs+.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brwnbass said:

Sounds like a good day. Im gonna have to try some shellcrackers, i here they are really good to eat. And they get big on norris too, like 3lbs+.

If you ever eat a dinner of Shell Cracker filets you will never look at crappie filets the same again!!!  Shell crackers beats crappie by a mile when it comes to good eating..........JMHO

9 hours ago, Buckeye83 said:

Finally made it out for some fun fishing!! The river was much warmer than I thought it would be. 57 when we launched and found it as warm as 62 up in the afternoon. Started off throwing a single swim bait with no takers. Started throwing a small crank and started catch fish. We caught 11 smallmouth and 4 largemouth by 10:30. 

After that we swapped to fishing for bluegill and shellcrackers. We wanted something for the skillet. End up catch 18 keepers and my B-I-L caught the biggest shellcracker I’ve ever seen.  Check out the pic. It was every bit of a pound. That sucker had shoulders. It was a good day to just relax and fish a little!!! Needed that for sure!!

B1D51D2A-2F07-4186-8421-6DB0DA3B0586.jpeg

Thats a nice big female Shell cracker for sure. If they are spawning and you find a bed of them the big mature males will be almost black and their ears will be a really bright orange. When ever I find a big bed of them I only keep the big black males and release all the females and young males so they will still make a good spawn to keep the population of them in the lake. The young males will service many beds of the females to keep the gene pool strong..............JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was fun. BB- they are good to eat. I can’t catch a crappie so these are all I can bring home to eat. They are delicious. I couldn’t imagine catching one that went 3 lbs. 

softy- we caught a bunch but throw all females back except that one. My wife’s grandma loves to fry those eggs up and eat them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blaserdude1 said:

Nice catch! Beech used to have a rep for break ins. Has that improved?

Thanks,

bc

Most of that has died off, from what I understand. I went last year, and had no issues. It’s an awesome little fishing hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1. It’s a lot better than it used to be. I haven’t heard a break in a couple years. The ramp is a big mess though. When we got got all that rain it flooded both ramps and it’s a muddy mess. 

Edited by Buckeye83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Buckeye83 said:

+1. It’s a lot better than it used to be. I haven’t heard a break in a couple years. The ramp is a big mess though. When we got got all that rain it flooded both ramps and it’s a muddy mess. 

TWRA put gravel in the one lot sometime since last week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...