Sign in to follow this  
SJK

Welcome JakeTN

Hello JakeTN,

Welcome to TN Bass Fishing. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. The more you participate, the better your experience here will be. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

JakeTN joined on the 01/23/2020.

View Member

Thanks. Live in Mt Juliet. I have been fishing from a kayak at Percy Priest mostly without any luck. Any advice would be appreciated. Water has been cold and muddy the last couple times I went out. 

Welcome to TNBF. We’ve got several guys that live over that way, that I’m sure could give you some pointers on Percy. 

3 hours ago, JakeTN said:

Thanks. Live in Mt Juliet. I have been fishing from a kayak at Percy Priest mostly without any luck. Any advice would be appreciated. Water has been cold and muddy the last couple times I went out. 

It would be easier to help you if I knew where your launching from. I have a lot of places I can recommend for Yak fishing once I know where you have been fishing. Another thing about Priest is it's not the best lake to fish when it's muddy or stained really a lot.  Cold water does make them somewhat sluggish but they will still bite. Especially the smallmouths and the Spotted Bass.

Softbaitmaker,

During the summer and fall I launch out of vivrett creek. The last two times I launched out the Smyrna boat ramp by the airport. Water was cold and muddy both times. Only catch was a big crappie on the ned rig. I have tried cranking deep divers, lipless cranks, slow rolling an underspin on bottom, shaky head, and the ned. 

On 1/23/2020 at 5:30 PM, softbaitmaker said:

It would be easier to help you if I knew where your launching from. I have a lot of places I can recommend for Yak fishing once I know where you have been fishing. Another thing about Priest is it's not the best lake to fish when it's muddy or stained really a lot.  Cold water does make them somewhat sluggish but they will still bite. Especially the smallmouths and the Spotted Bass.

See above

Lol. Nothing wrong with a little Dundee action. 

Edited by JakeTN
Learning

On 1/24/2020 at 5:49 PM, JakeTN said:

Softbaitmaker,

During the summer and fall I launch out of vivrett creek. The last two times I launched out the Smyrna boat ramp by the airport. Water was cold and muddy both times. Only catch was a big crappie on the ned rig. I have tried cranking deep divers, lipless cranks, slow rolling an underspin on bottom, shaky head, and the ned. 

See above

Vivrett  Creek is a good place to launch a Yak but if I was going to launch there I would go a little farther out into Suggs Creek and launch at Seven Points. Upon launching begin fishing down that right bank towards the mouth of Suggs as that bank wall is fairly deep and holds some nice bigger Spots. After you have fished that bank you need to move out the Cable Island and stay out in 15 foot water and fish towards the Island. You should feel some rock piles in about 10 foot water and pick up some nice smallmouths off the piles. I fish them with a  Green Pumpkin 2.5 inch Tube with tail tips dipped in either Red or blue.  That whole area is good for Tube fishing or Stick bait fishing. 

On 1/30/2020 at 11:59 AM, softbaitmaker said:

Vivrett  Creek is a good place to launch a Yak but if I was going to launch there I would go a little farther out into Suggs Creek and launch at Seven Points. Upon launching begin fishing down that right bank towards the mouth of Suggs as that bank wall is fairly deep and holds some nice bigger Spots. After you have fished that bank you need to move out the Cable Island and stay out in 15 foot water and fish towards the Island. You should feel some rock piles in about 10 foot water and pick up some nice smallmouths off the piles. I fish them with a  Green Pumpkin 2.5 inch Tube with tail tips dipped in either Red or blue.  That whole area is good for Tube fishing or Stick bait fishing. 

Softbaitmaker, 

Thanks for the info. I have launched out of seven points and fished that bank twice. My buddy has a fish finder on his Yak. We always marked good schools down that bank. The point off that bank marked a bunch of schools as well. I have never fished with a tube. Will have to give it a go. The water is ridiculously high right now. Going to head out of Vivrett creek next time I go out. Hopefully the water warms up enough that they start heading shallow soon.

17 hours ago, JakeTN said:

Softbaitmaker, 

Thanks for the info. I have launched out of seven points and fished that bank twice. My buddy has a fish finder on his Yak. We always marked good schools down that bank. The point off that bank marked a bunch of schools as well. I have never fished with a tube. Will have to give it a go. The water is ridiculously high right now. Going to head out of Vivrett creek next time I go out. Hopefully the water warms up enough that they start heading shallow soon.

You should have some good luck with the tubes and smallmouths in the whole area.