Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie De Vera

Live Image Units

Recommended Posts

Which unit would y'all prefer? Is any one better than the other? Please all units welcome. Just trying to figure out which one to save up for. I'm a Lowrance guy but currently running Garmin's. I have no problem with Garmin. Just looking for inputs. Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't currently own a "live unit". I have had Lowrance and Hummingbird for sonar/DI and now have Hummingbird sonar/SI at the console with a Lakemaster Chip. I like the ability to do a color shaded water level offset and also the ability to make my own real time maps. I have talked to a few friends that put a livescope on their boats at the bow and heard the same "be aware of" comments:

-- It uses a lot of power. So probably looking at a lithium upgrade just to power electronics

-- "I see a lot of fish but they don't or won't chase the bait". "I'm still trying to figure it out".

--I got Garmin and wished i waited for Hummingbird or Lowrance, or some combination of i wished i got the other brand.

All that being said, we all saw what happened on Lake Fork with Patrick Walters using it to target suspended fish in timber with a jerkbait. I have thought about it as well but it's going to be a learning curve for something that i probably won't use as much as i would a 360 where i'm looking for rockpiles and other offshore stuff. I could see spending hours targeting fish that won't bite.

The ones that told me "I'm still trying to figure it out" probably have 🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number one: I would never be able to afford it

number two: I can already see tons of fish on down imaging. I don’t think I need to see them in real time for any reason 

I seem to think Walters could have found those fish, realized they weren’t eating the swimbait, and then switched to a jerkbait with any electronics (especially side imaging). Might have taken a little longer but if you aren’t getting bit, might as well try another lure 

 

 

Edited by rusty50576

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rusty50576 said:

Number one: I would never be able to afford it

number two: I can already see tons of fish on down imaging. I don’t think I need to see them in real time for any reason 

I seem to think Walters could have found those fish, realized they weren’t eating the swimbait, and then switched to a jerkbait with any electronics (especially side imaging). Might have taken a little longer but if you aren’t getting bit, might as well try another lure 

 

 

Agreed. Less time consuming ways to catch them. I've caught fish dropping a Damiki but I hardly ever do it. After spending an entire day doing it, I couldn't move my head the next day. Last thing I need is another technique where I'm tilting my head down staring at my bow display. Makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have livescope but hardley use it much dropping on fish and that’s all I do in winter anymore ..but if I get on a good school of feeding fish and lose them (we’ve all done it)it’s handy as can be to find the direction their moving 

Edited by Vafis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a link on BBC today that mentions a Garmin software update that is now causing ghost "trees and ditches" to appear on live units. Someone mentioned that they had the issue on theirs prior to the update. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by trackertxw175

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the LiveScope something that could be extremely useful, but only in a very specific circumstance, like as Vafis mentioned when they’re on the move. I always wanted a 360. I think it would have been the cat’s meow for a good view, and boat position. 

Edited by SteveHTN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a Live unit with the active imaging transducer.. it is supposed to arrive today.. Curious of the difference in image quality vs the HDS gen 3 units I currently run. Plan on getting the active target system on the bow later but they are currently backordered till at least end of this month.

Probably won't know until next week at the earliest how the unit preforms... dang work keeps getting in the way of fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an Elite FS yesterday with the active imaging 3-n-1... I'm going to run it on my bow and work to get the active imaging transducer and stuff a little bit later... If I wasn't in the middle of greasing up my trailer bearings (no bearing buddies😡😡) I'd take the boat out today and try the new unit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jamie De Vera said:

I bought an Elite FS yesterday with the active imaging 3-n-1... I'm going to run it on my bow and work to get the active imaging transducer and stuff a little bit later... If I wasn't in the middle of greasing up my trailer bearings (no bearing buddies😡😡) I'd take the boat out today and try the new unit...

Installing my HDS Live on the console today.. Moving the HDS 12 G3 to the bow until l get another Live unit with the active target system. Unfortunately I won't get to test it till next Monday or Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2021 at 9:29 AM, Jamie De Vera said:

I bought an Elite FS yesterday with the active imaging 3-n-1... I'm going to run it on my bow and work to get the active imaging transducer and stuff a little bit later... If I wasn't in the middle of greasing up my trailer bearings (no bearing buddies😡😡) I'd take the boat out today and try the new unit...

It’ll be a nice unit, Jamie. While you’re doing upgrades, get you a set of Bearing Buddies. LOL 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got my new Live unit on the water yesterday. Still tweaking settings of course but the image quality is amazing. You can pick the branches on the laydowns on the bottom. Should be great for finding those brush piles in the middle and trees that are standing.. Image seems to stay clear even at 140' setting at 800hz .. will it help me catch more fish? LOL Probably not.. but still a nice new toy to play with :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NobbyNobbs said:

Finally got my new Live unit on the water yesterday. Still tweaking settings of course but the image quality is amazing. You can pick the branches on the laydowns on the bottom. Should be great for finding those brush piles in the middle and trees that are standing.. Image seems to stay clear even at 140' setting at 800hz .. will it help me catch more fish? LOL Probably not.. but still a nice new toy to play with :)

Hahaha... I am hoping to give my unit a try this weekend... Really excited to set it up lol

 

On 3/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, SteveHTN said:

It’ll be a nice unit, Jamie. While you’re doing upgrades, get you a set of Bearing Buddies. LOL 

I've got my bearing buddies installed and new bearings and seals installed as well... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jamie De Vera said:

Hahaha... I am hoping to give my unit a try this weekend... Really excited to set it up lol

 

I've got my bearing buddies installed and new bearings and seals installed as well... 

Awesome, man. You’ll be happy with that whole setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...