98 Johnson 200 Venom problems

I have 98 venom with some problems. It starts and idles good but when I take off it starts surges and shuts off. It will fire right back and run like nothing is wrong sometimes. Most of the time it run a mile or two then start surging and shuts off. I've change the fuel lines prime bulb fuel filter and even cleaned the tank out. I don't have the money to take it to the shop I'm hoping someone can point in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Or an ethanol destroyed diaphragm in your fuel pump. I would start there by replacing the fuel pump and see if that solves the problem. I would also buy the whole fuel pump new and not a rebuild kit because the ethanol has a bad effect on the older plastics too. That will be your cheapest bet to try first before replacing ignition parts.

get someone to go with you the next time out and when it does it again have another person squeeze the primer bulb

if it runs fine while squeezin it then you have a fuel pump problem if that doesnt help then you may have a power pack bad or

it could be puttin itself in what they call limp mode, thats where motor wont rev over 3k rpm

I know you said you couldnt afford to take it to the shop but a vro pump wiil cost you $400 to $550 not sure about the power pack but i bet its not cheap...i have a 2000 johnson 225 ho and its doing the same thing, starts fine and when given throttle it stalls will do this 2 to 4 times and sometimes not at all, im going to put a new punp on mine to see if it helps,i tried the chokeing it and mashing the bulb all while it was doing it and sometimes it seemed like it helped and other times it did not, my boat started doing this a year ago and got worse over time....if the pump dont fix it then to watsons it will go....

the fuel pump part of the vro is rebuildable just a couple seals a diapham in there, not a big deal and not very expensive to fix, the oil pump side of it is not rebuildable

if oil side was bad you be getting a alarm . sounds like your on right track, sounds like your motor could be in limp mode .