12/24 Volt TM Question

I have an old Johnson trolling motor that I believe is 12/24 volt. There is nothing on the trolling motor that says so buy the plug on the front of the boat has 4 leads, 2 red & 2 black, hooked to it. All 4 leads run all the way to the back of the boat. I currently only have one set of leads hooked to one battery with the other set tapped up. My question is how do I know for sure that the trolling motor is 24 volt capable? If it is do I need to hook my second battery up to the other set of leads or is there some other way I should wire it? I've seen diagrams showing how to run 2 batteries, but all only have one set of leads running to the trolling motor. I'd rather get the advise of some of you seasoned fishermen before I risk burning up the TM. If I burn it up it would give me an excuse to buy a new one so I wouldn't be crushed or try to point the finger at anyone for telling me wrong.

Thanks!

Sounds like the boat is equipped for a 24v system....  In my opinion... Unless you know for CERTAIN the trolling motor is a 24v I would not risk running it on a 24v system.  I would think that some where on the motor there would be something to verify it 12/24 capable.

You can check the wiring and plug w/ a multi-meter and verify you have 12 and 24volt when you hook up the extra battery.

Not 100% sure, but if its a factory 12/24 set up, there should be a switch either on the boats front control panel or the foot control that lets you switch it from 12 to 24. Its not like the new ones that use a constant 24 or 36 volts......its a 12 OR 24. Theyll be hooked in series and have a switch somewhere. Otherwise, I wouldnt risk burning it up unless I knew for sure it was 12/24.

The name plate is on the foot pedal. They made 12V, 12/24V (ttoggle switch on the side of the foot pedal), and a straight variable speed 24V (rarest of the three, the speed wheel doesn't "click"). The voltage will be stated on the nameplate. Allot of boats were wired for the 12/24V in the 80's-90's like yours is, but the upgrade to a 12/24V trolling motor was not selected when the option package was selected. So you can't go by your boats wiring. 

I have several buddies that are still running the OMC TM's and the ones that are 12/24 do have a switch on the foot control so you can select which you want. If you don't have that switch I would almost guess you have a 12 volt unit. I will call a few buddies today and ask them about it.  

Oh thanks. I will look for the switch this afternoon. The other part of my question is the wiring at the battery compartment. If I do have the 12/24 TM, do I just hook the second set of leads up to the second battery? All the diagrams I see use a jumper from one battery to the second, none show two complete separate sets of leads. Thanks for the help so far!

Found the name plate on the foot petal, 12VDC....so I guess the 2 batteries is out of the question. My battery life is horrible. If I run on high for a constant minute or two it practically pulls all the juice. Are these old units normally this bad on batteries or do I need to replace the battery? It's only 2 years old and I always keep it on a battery maintainer when not on the water.

Edited by Peck