Eakins type jigs

Well it is that time of year, the fish are not as willing to chase and have been ignoring the larger traditional jigs and the smaller finesse jigs take too long to get down in the 6' to 8' depth the fish are at. These are the 2 different kinds that have been working in the 5/16oz and the 7/16oz sizes in Okeechobee craw, the left one is a sparsely tied skirt and the one on the right has a heavy skirt. The sparse skirt I'm using for a faster fall and I use it with Softy's action tail craw because this bait is for reaction strikes, the heavy skirt model gets a chunk trailer as the heavy skirt slows the fall and gives off a bulkier profile while still looking like an easy meal to the fish. For these types of jigs I know I'm not going to switch out skirts so they are hand tied with Danville fly master 210 denier flat waxed nylon thread sealed with hard as hull head cement on 3/0 and 4/0 Mustad flat eye jig hooks. Do any of you use this type jig and if so, do you prefer a heavy skirt or a sparse tied skirt and why? I just want to get some ideas on the waters you fish.

DSCN01672_zpsee117823.jpg

i  like a thin skrit because it lets the  jig fall faster and gives jig trailer more action less drag to in deep water but sometime they won't a slow fall heavy skrit makes it fall slower i use  1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 0z  arkey and football head jigs more now. i have used eakins in the past and it did a good job for me . net bait jig trailers and zoom chunks eakins makes a good jig but i tie my own now hope this helps  

No secret this by far is my favorite type of jig ..... I have fished this type of jig probably 90% of the time and have had a little success with it also . Imo this jig type looks more like a crawfish than any other jig . A+ on a good looking jig .

No secret this by far is my favorite type of jig ..... I have fished this type of jig probably 90% of the time and have had a little success with it also . Imo this jig type looks more like a crawfish than any other jig . A+ on a good looking jig .

I was waiting on you to comment on this. Those are some darn good looking jigs. And guys, if any of you all have a chance to go fishing with Tony I would highly recommend it. Just fishing with him and watching him fish it has made me a MUCH better jig fisherman.

I make these jigs also. I use 2 to 2.5 strands of skirt on each jig. I also put a 5/0  Mustad flat eye in them cause I was having some fish come unbuttoned. It seems like the larger hook has cured that problem. I think where I was using larger trailers was part of the issue. I was using Yamamoto flapping Hogs and some of the  Baby Paca Craws

I make these jigs also. I use 2 to 2.5 strands of skirt on each jig. I also put a 5/0  Mustad flat eye in them cause I was having some fish come unbuttoned. It seems like the larger hook has cured that problem. I think where I was using larger trailers was part of the issue. I was using Yamamoto flapping Hogs and some of the  Baby Paca Craws

I like the zoom creepy cawler as a trailer with this jig and also use a super chunk jr . Both fit the small jig well .

Only thing I would add is that I like a 3/16th oz myself....gotta dance with the one that brought ya! 

I do a lot in 1/8oz and 3/16oz, the only difference is I use a 5/64" weedguard instead of the 1/8", it balances the jig a little better imo.

Thank you for the kind words all!! I posted this as I was out with a friend and he was using a Booyah bed bug and it had much more skirt material than what I used. We fish the jigs all day and I did catch a few more than my buddy but not a lot, 4 or 5 but his average size was bigger so I though I'd see how you guys like to use them. I was out a little yesterday after it rained and I used the 5/16oz with the multi layer 50 strand skirt and I only caught 2 fish in just about 3 hours but  both of those fish were nice, I didn't weigh them but I did give a quick measure and the small one, which was the first one, was 16" exact, the last one was a bit over 18", so I am seeing that even using the same trailer the heavier skirt is getting bit by bigger fish which shouldn't be a surprise but I now have a good formula, get a limit with one and a kicker fish with the other!! Thanks again for the input, have a great holiday!!!