Black Light (Sloan's) Plug in ?'s....repair?

Guys, Ive got plug in type sloan blacklights on my boat, with the female connection mounted into my deck edge.  My lights quit working and I think I need new female connections to make them work again.  My question, is there a cheaper route to fix these than buying the ones at Watsons or does anybody have any they'd get rid of?  I have two nice Sloan lights and hate to replace them with LED's...but, if that is the more cost effective route, Id do that.  I have 4 jacks on my boat and really only use the two up front for blacklight fishing.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Guys, Ive got plug in type sloan blacklights on my boat, with the female connection mounted into my deck edge.  My lights quit working and I think I need new female connections to make them work again.  My question, is there a cheaper route to fix these than buying the ones at Watsons or does anybody have any they'd get rid of?  I have two nice Sloan lights and hate to replace them with LED's...but, if that is the more cost effective route, Id do that.  I have 4 jacks on my boat and really only use the two up front for blacklight fishing.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

If you have an electronics store near you, they should have the guitair amp jacks there.  When you replace them, if you dont have them on a switch to cut the power off, when not in use, I would take the time to do it. I use to go through a set of them every summer till I put them on a switch.

If you have an electronics store near you, they should have the guitair amp jacks there.  When you replace them, if you dont have them on a switch to cut the power off, when not in use, I would take the time to do it. I use to go through a set of them every summer till I put them on a switch.

+1 on the amp jacks....and the switch. ;)

I have my jacks on a switch and turn them off when not in use and my jacks are about 9 years old and have no issues with them. I think you can probably get the jacks at Radio Shack? I don't think they are all that costly. I got my jacks with the Hoppy's Pro glow lights when I bought them. I do also have a set of the Sloan Lights but seldom use them.

Ok, thanks for the input....one more question...you said "electronics store"...I live in Kingsport.  Can anybody throw a store name out there?  And, yes, mine are on a switch so I should be good there

Edited by brownfish03

So I went to my local radio shack today and inquired about the plugins.  The ones they had were thin plastic housed and very cheaply made!  Im talking CHEAP...but at less than 5 bucks for a pair, what can you expect.  I also noticed that the wires to the plug had to be soddered in place.  This was the case on the original plugs when I removed them, the black wire was soddered and the red wire was just crimped.  Did I find the wrong female part?  Did the ones your guys mentioned have to be soddered?  Were they CHEAP plastic like the ones I found?  I felt very leery of using these to replace the much more durable one that I had removed.  There was a night and day difference in quality!  I just HATE to pay $24 bucks a piece for a silly connector....good grief!  There has got to be an easier way!

In the end, I wish I just had moonlights!  But, on my budget, that aint gonna happen either!  Ive got to make this work somehow!

Radio Shack had the METAL jacks ( both male and female ) this past Spring because I put a set on my boat. They must have started stocking the cheap plastic one's recently ??  Sorry for the bad lead !!

No, no...not a bad lead!  I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same items...I think the ones they had were complete junk from what I could see!  I was curious after seeing what they had to sell...I thought surly this aint what he's talking about...lol.  The salesman assured me that was the only type they carried.  The search continues!  Btw, did you have to sodder yours in? Or were they just crimp connections?

The female jacks I used had 2" wires already hooked to them....I just used wire crimps to hook to existing wires. I did use short pieces of heatshrink over crimps to protect from water. I'm pretty sure the jacks are used on electric guitars so you can plug in amp cables...so they may be sold at Morrell's Music on Center st. or there is another music store beside bowling alley above Ft. Henery Mall ??

Ah Sam, you are my hero!  I looked the link over and saw they also carry a "thick panel" version with much better reviews.  At less than 2 bucks each.....that's a deal!  One question, did you have to solder the negative wire connection?  I cant tell by the pic on the link but I think they don't crimp.  I don't have any experience doing this but, surly it aint that hard.  The jacks are even long threaded, which is exactly what I was looking for....same as the original!

Dale, I did solder both the positive and nevagive on mine.  That crimp thing is more for holding the wires so they can't move around.  I am not good at soldering at all, but managed to get r done.  I have 4 jacks on my yak, and they are working great.  I have removable front and back lights that have plugs for these jacks.  I just wish they were stainless, but you wouldnt get stainless for less than $2.  My buddy Hammer has used these on his bass boat as well and we plug all kinds of different blacklights up to it at times. 

Yes Doug, that's them....but the 30 dollar plus shipping price is CRAZY for something that cost them like 30 cents to make.  That's why Im trying to find the jacks elsewhere where they aren't so proud of them!  But, thanks for the help! 

Hi Dale, I knew they were pricey and glad Sam was able to get you hooked up............. :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2: