Bass memory

Stump9000

I know this discussion will be mostly opinion but I have been curious about this for a while. I even had this talk with Mountain Man the other day and he had some good points.

If you spook a bass or even traumatize it by hauling it around in a livewell, how long before he gets back to normal and start feeding again? Or even the old sore mouth we hear about, how long before he eats like he did? I have heard stories of people catching the same fish on the same trip but I don't know about that.

A vet told me one time that animals (including fish) don't know to feel sorry for their self so they don't reconize soreness. He said they adapt to the sore right away and it becomes part of life.

I would like to hear your opinions on this please.

Well just from what I have heard on tv, bass are ready to attack again in just a few hours. I know I have caught a lot of fish, both crappie and bass that have had what looked like fresh hook cuts on their mouths.

Well, like i said the other day, I had a professor relate it to me like this:

"Its kinda like when you go to the dentist as a child. You get a little skeered and your mouth feels funny, but youre not really sure what to make of it. Then you get hungry, thirsty or start to play and you forget all about it"

There have been very few studies on this and none were conclusive. Most studies relate to Tourney mortality rate because it is more measurable than "fellings" of a fish. Its hard to say for sure, Jim.

I was fishing with some shiners in the river drop shotting when i broke off in strong current ater fighting a good two minutes last year. I retied on a new circle hook baited up and cast back in the same spot. Five minutes later pulled in a three and a half pound smallmouth with my first circle hook and my new one still in his lip

I agree they have short memories. I have a spot that i fish sometimes 2-3 times a week. Every time i go to this spot i catch the same 2 fish, they have some distinctive markings on them. They bite the same bait & are in almost the exact same spot every time. I bet i have caught these fish 30 times each this summer.A couple times have been in the same day.

I was fishing a BFL down on lake russell, SC. I was throwing a crig with some 12 lb test line that I will never buy again. Threw out, tap tap, set the hook, broke off, reeled in, retire with the same color lizard, threw out, tap tap, set the hook, brought in a 14" spot with 2 leaders 2 of the same color lizards hooked on the same side of the mouth.

Back about 15 years ago. I use to tag fish that I caught in certain areas if they were over 3 lbs. They take them to weigh in. On to many occasions to mention within two weeks time I would catch those tagged fish with in 25 yards of where I caught them two weeks earlier. Also I have two large Aquariums here in the house and back before they put size limits on the lakes I would catch a small bass in the 8 to 10 inch range and bring it home in the live well and release it into one of the tanks. They I would drop a night crawler in the tank and it would not last 3 seconds and the bass would eat it. Now Caught with in an hour or so, Moved to an entirely new location unfamiliar to the fish and yet it would eat almost instantly when food hits the water. You can draw your own conclusions but I don't think a sore mouth fish exists that won't eat if food is made available. They hit your bait because they are hungry. You remove the hook and bait from their mouth but they are still hungry.JMHO....... :popcorn: :popcorn:

I read a study recently that basically showed that fish caught and released,even miles from where they were first caught, would return to that area within a week or so and usually a couple of days, most of the time they wouldn't hold in the release area for more than a few hours. I also read another study that was conducted on Tx fish and it trended toward there being really 2 kinds of fish, A: Ones that would quickly forget and hit a lure again and B: ones that wouldn't, if memory serves me correctly the ones that would hit again quickly seldom got over 2 or 3 lbs while the ones that didn't were more likely to reach the 5lb+ mark, the study was showing how it would be good to remove certain fish from the water in order to boost the overall size capacity in the gene pool.

All that being said, and it could just be me, I've notice a few things on this subject myself because it interest me. 1:Small LM,especially under 10" will hit lures repeatedly as well as spots of any size (not that I've caught too many)2.Smallies will too unless you get a hook in em'.3.I myself have caught the same fish a few times however NONE of the big fish I've hooked and lost(and there has been alot,chok it up to my wallyworld rods I guess)have I ever been able to get to hit again in the same area that I know of, and usually I won't catch anymore big uns out of that area period.

Fish don't get to be big by being stupid, I think some of them are alot smarter than we think, just like people the majority are stupid and will do something crazy a few times before getting the picture(just check out the BUSTED segment in you're local paper) but a few catch on pretty quick.JM :2cents:

I lost a 6 pound bed fish in a tourney back in May. Broke it off twice and lost it one other time. Another guy I know also lost it while I was letting it rest and had moved to another area. Another feller weighed it in the tourney. It was hooked 5 times in as many hours. I think they are each individuals. Some are near suicidal, while others won't eat for a month after being hooked. Just my humble opinion though.

I lost a 6 pound bed fish in a tourney back in May. Broke it off twice and lost it one other time. Another guy I know also lost it while I was letting it rest and had moved to another area. Another feller weighed it in the tourney. It was hooked 5 times in as many hours. I think they are each individuals. Some are near suicidal, while others won't eat for a month after being hooked. Just my humble opinion though.

Bed fish don't really fall into any category because at that small period each year they don't react normally and yes you can hook the same fish on a bed many times because she is being more protective of the bed than she is willing to eat what ever bait your using. I sat and watched a bass in the 7 lb size on a bed in the back of a small pocket once. I sat and watched her grab, crush in her throat and kill about 15 small bluegills and spit them out and they would float down or up to the top dead. She was not eating them. She was killing them. So spawning fish really don't fall into the this category.

Bed fish don't really fall into any category because at that small period each year they don't react normally and yes you can hook the same fish on a bed many times because she is being more protective of the bed than she is willing to eat what ever bait your using. I sat and watched a bass in the 7 lb size on a bed in the back of a small pocket once. I sat and watched her grab, crush in her throat and kill about 15 small bluegills and spit them out and they would float down or up to the top dead. She was not eating them. She was killing them. So spawning fish really don't fall into the this category.

I agree with you here softy i was fishing a pond up the road from my house this past spring and the fish were on the beds, I musta had a small male pick my bait up 5 or 5 times before I got a hook in him, I was really just experimenting though to be honest it was the first time I've actually SEEN a fish on a bed.

Fish have small brains incapable of producing pain feelings. So the sore mouth thing doesn't work for me.

Secondly, with regard to lures it is a reward and punishment thing. If a fish hits a minnow and eats it is rewarded for the effort it took to catch the minnow. If a fish runs down your spook it's belly isn't getting full. Therefore after a few times it learns not to hit the spook because it isn't getting a reward. Kinda like a dog. You call a dog and beat the snot out of it. It's not going to keep coming to you.

Thirdly, I read a study last year that was based over a 20 year period. They took a small private lake and stocked it. They brought in fishing tourneys. They tagged and released every fish. After a period of years they drained the lake. The numbers were something like only 30% of the fish had ever been caught and only like 15% had ever been caught more than once. They then took the fish that had been caught and put them in a seperate lake and the ones that had never been caught and put them in another lake. The lake with fish that had been caught before was a great fishing lake over the years and the fish had offspring that were able to be caught. The lake where the non-caught fish were placed was a tough fishing venue. Also these fish seemed to produce offspring fish that were "smart" and hard to catch. They had numbers and percentages that I can't remember to back all of this up. Makes you think even harder about catch and release. Because the fish you catch can be caught and likely their offspring can be caught. I do believe there are certain fish that are virtually incatchable.

Fish have small brains incapable of producing pain feelings. So the sore mouth thing doesn't work for me.

Secondly, with regard to lures it is a reward and punishment thing. If a fish hits a minnow and eats it is rewarded for the effort it took to catch the minnow. If a fish runs down your spook it's belly isn't getting full. Therefore after a few times it learns not to hit the spook because it isn't getting a reward. Kinda like a dog. You call a dog and beat the snot out of it. It's not going to keep coming to you.

Thirdly, I read a study last year that was based over a 20 year period. They took a small private lake and stocked it. They brought in fishing tourneys. They tagged and released every fish. After a period of years they drained the lake. The numbers were something like only 30% of the fish had ever been caught and only like 15% had ever been caught more than once. They then took the fish that had been caught and put them in a seperate lake and the ones that had never been caught and put them in another lake. The lake with fish that had been caught before was a great fishing lake over the years and the fish had offspring that were able to be caught. The lake where the non-caught fish were placed was a tough fishing venue. Also these fish seemed to produce offspring fish that were "smart" and hard to catch. They had numbers and percentages that I can't remember to back all of this up. Makes you think even harder about catch and release. Because the fish you catch can be caught and likely their offspring can be caught. I do believe there are certain fish that are virtually incatchable.

I think you're refering to one of the same studies I refered to but yeah that was interesting as all get out

Interesting and depressing at the same time. It was a real reality call for me.

I feel ya', I was watching a show one time on the Ole' Idiot box, they were using those AquaView cameras (which I want by the way) and they said that if you had any Idea how many big fish you're lure was in front of that never paid attention to it you wouldn't go fishing anymore. :lol: Look at it this way, those fish have to eat something they don't get big by not eating, we just have to figure out how to make them hit and they are ours for the taking!

....we just have to figure out how to make them hit...

My thoughts exactly. Thats why I dont do a whole lot of running around. I figure the fish are there, its my job to figure out what they want. Not that I always fulfill my end of that deal, but thats how i rationalize beating the sh*t out of the water for hours upon hours!!

for years and still do sometimes momma and i fished the first hump from the launch at Swann's...thae same evening after the Tx the LM would bite.....you could tell they had een freshly hooked and released from the blood on their mouth...

My thoughts exactly. Thats why I dont do a whole lot of running around. I figure the fish are there, its my job to figure out what they want. Not that I always fulfill my end of that deal, but thats how i rationalize beating the sh*t out of the water for hours upon hours!!

This maybe a confidence thing but I've noticed I tend to do better when I've been well stocked from the tackle shop and have more lures to raffle through. :lol:

This maybe a confidence thing but I've noticed I tend to do better when I've been well stocked from the tackle shop and have more lures to raffle through. laugh.gif

Yea,especially $50 worth of new worms in the latest, greatest colors! When you already have $5000 worth of colors that didnt work.

• 1 month later...

me and a buddy was fishing Norris and he had just set the hook and broke off in a fish right as I cast my shakey head out and before he could get another jig out of his box i set the hook and reeled in a little 12" spot and I held it up and said you are not going to believe this that hungry little fish had his jig in it's mouth. I bet 30 seconds had not passed in between hook sets. that fish did not get spooked he was just hungry and that jig stuck in his mouth did not deter him from hitting the next thing that swam in front of him. So i would think that whether they are actively feeding has alot to do with how soon they are willing to take another chance on dinner. I agree that fish have very small brains and do not respond the same way to pain.

on Douglas back in the middle to latter 90's we had some friends on the pontoon and we were bass fishing and i caught a LM about 9"-10" long and we thought it was something that it hit a 10" worm. it had a Black Spot on its head shaped like a heart....well about 5 minutes later i caught the same fish over the same brush pile....came back in about another hour and sure enough momma caught it that time......same fish bit 3 times in less than 2 hours :scratch:

Archived