boat seats

goinsfishin

my boat seats are rotten and so i have cut out a new base and back to the old seats. I am planning on reusing the vinyl and the foam. they are actually in pretty decent shape considering the shape of the wood underneath it all.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on whether or not i need to do anything extra to the wood before i cover it? It is pressure treated already. I didn't know if a sealer or anything like that would help.

I have an older bullet and the way the seats are mounted is kind of lame. It is just a hinge that runs the length of the front of the seat. The screws always pull through the wood, but that was also when i had rotten wood. any suggestions on that too?

thanks for the help.

Back years ago when I had my first bass boat I had to replace a rotten floor. I couldn't afford marine grade plywood at the time so here is what I did. I used 3/4" exterior grade plywood (not OSB) and sealed it on both side and edges with a good exterior primer and paint. When fastening it I used some silicon caulk in the holes for the stainless steel screws before I tighten them down and used the boat for another ten years without any problems. Maybe something like this would help with your seats.

Another idea, what I have done before, is to use fiberglass resin to seal up the plywood. works great for floors, seats, trailers, etc, etc. Anytime plywood is accessable to water or moisture, it will seal it up and last 10X longer than unsealed.

That's exactly what I did with the floor on the top side I put in was finished and install carpet over that :headbang:

I primed and painted the bottom and edges so it didn't absorb any moisture

i would sell off some old fishing gear and buy some New Temprest :whiner::lol:

i bought some really nice seats a couple of years ago and took them back. they were way too big and the smaller ones that would fit in my boat didn't look as good as my factory seats. I may have to sell of some fishing gear to buy all of the stainless screws and nuts i am going to need. :lol:

thanks for the help i'll post before and after pics when i am finished.

my boat seats are rotten and so i have cut out a new base and back to the old seats. I am planning on reusing the vinyl and the foam. they are actually in pretty decent shape considering the shape of the wood underneath it all.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on whether or not i need to do anything extra to the wood before i cover it? It is pressure treated already. I didn't know if a sealer or anything like that would help.

I have an older bullet and the way the seats are mounted is kind of lame. It is just a hinge that runs the length of the front of the seat. The screws always pull through the wood, but that was also when i had rotten wood. any suggestions on that too?

thanks for the help.

Do you have seats that tilt with storage under neath. If so when you remount the seats in use bolts instead of screws when you attach them to the boat. That is what I did when I put my new seats in. Gives better support to them..... :blink::blink:

Archived