Good article for all you anti A-Rig people

Peck

• 2 weeks later...

had it tied on during sat tx and never threw it one time as they were biting what we were throwing

I don't even own an arig but I debated on buying one Saturday morning. I kind of wish I had now because we fished down lake in the clearer water and I came across some deep schools that we couldn't get to bite anything and it might have worked. Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.

I threw it some Saturday... Had my fast bass ever on it and the dang thing came off near the boat. Later my finger slipped on the spool and I backlashed the reel... No more fishing it that day.

i had mine spooled up with braid and have thrown it some but keep an extra reel with 25lb mono i have thrown it on with less backlash, just worry about being able to get it back when hung with the mono

I throw it on 20 PLine mono in the moss green. I had another reel I could have used but by that time my shoulder was screaming.

I just hope I have it in the boat when I find the white bass schooled up again. I had a blast catching them 2 at a time this summer on it. I need to see the guy who built the one I have and see if he'll sell me a couple more. He builds an awesome looking rig I just haven't thrown it enough yet to get any good out of it. I hung it up a few times and have this one bent up pretty good. I'm afraid it's days are numbered.

If you have ever fished with one when they are killing it you would see the harm. It takes longer to get all the hooks out of the fish than it does to get them to the boat. Oh and they usually choke it and gill hook theirself. I am not a fan but as others have said you can't be competitive without throwing it if the bite is on.

Edited by MtCarmelTriton

If you have ever fished with one when they are killing it you would see the harm. It takes longer to get all the hooks out of the fish than it does to get them to the boat. Oh and they usually choke it and gill hook theirself. I am not a fan but as others have said you can't be competitive without throwing it if the bite is on.

I must not throw it when the bite is on then. I can see how it could do damage but I've never experienced it. I've had worse foul hooking with a crankbait.

if you like it throw if not dont- but I can tell you this I have been around for a while and seen bass laying on their side half dead or dead right after a weigh in! what about cb and jb some of them have 3 sets of treble hooks if so that is 9 hooks any way you look at it, something else to look at I see lots of bass fisherman than go out and catch every crappie they can and fillet all of them, but would not dare keep a bass to eat, can you tell me what the diff is? None! why would someone release a fish that is going to die or is dead, would you shoot a deer and not eat it, I dont! I dont see anything wrong with using what ever technique or bait as long as it is legal and I am not pointing a finger at anyone because they can catch them on something than maybe I cant!

Well said Country! If u like it, use it, if not then don't. The A-rig craz if u will has slowed down. Most people think it's due to the fish getting use to it , but I say the weather this year has changed everything. If u have been bass fishing for a long time then will remember when the spinner bait came out a lot of people wanted to ban it, because even the all might pros said it wld catch all the fish that swim, well it didn't. As far as all the hooks on an A-rig hurting fish more than other baits, well I wld say that I use an A-rig more than any 5 people put to gather on this web site, and in the past 3 years I have not killed or even had a fish on its side from the rig. Now that cld be the way I use mine and the type hooks and bait I use on mine, but I have never killed a fish on one yet. I have had many fish die from treble hooks. Going back to the topic, if u dnt like it then just dnt throw it. Like I said before, I think the A-rig craz has slowed down and I bet in a few years we won't even hear this topic again just like the spinner bait. I do want to say this and I knw it has nothing to do with the topic, it's just me being mean, but I love it when people bash it and bash it and then go buy 5 or 8 of the same rig that I help create and you knw who you are :)

Well said Country! If u like it, use it, if not then don't. The A-rig craz if u will has slowed down. Most people think it's due to the fish getting use to it , but I say the weather this year has changed everything. If u have been bass fishing for a long time then will remember when the spinner bait came out a lot of people wanted to ban it, because even the all might pros said it wld catch all the fish that swim, well it didn't. As far as all the hooks on an A-rig hurting fish more than other baits, well I wld say that I use an A-rig more than any 5 people put to gather on this web site, and in the past 3 years I have not killed or even had a fish on its side from the rig. Now that cld be the way I use mine and the type hooks and bait I use on mine, but I have never killed a fish on one yet. I have had many fish die from treble hooks. Going back to the topic, if u dnt like it then just dnt throw it. Like I said before, I think the A-rig craz has slowed down and I bet in a few years we won't even hear this topic again just like the spinner bait. I do want to say this and I knw it has nothing to do with the topic, it's just me being mean, but I love it when people bash it and bash it and then go buy 5 or 8 of the same rig that I help create and you knw who you are :)

Hey now ... I thought you told me you can't catch fish on them ole a-rigs .

if you like it throw if not dont- but I can tell you this I have been around for a while and seen bass laying on their side half dead or dead right after a weigh in! what about cb and jb some of them have 3 sets of treble hooks if so that is 9 hooks any way you look at it, something else to look at

I have thrown it and caught several fish on it and yes I throw cranks and jerk baits a lot also and as I said before as long as it is thrown legally there is no basis to ban it. Like I said to Peck the hook size makes a big difference in the damage done to a fish when caught on a rig. You used a deer hunting reference so if you equate this to hook size it would be like the difference in hunting with a 22 vs a 308. You can do a lot more damage with a 308. Now as I said as long as it's legal and fished legally with 3 hooks sling away boys. I can't do it since my rotator cuff went to pot. I simply stated my opinion that if you polled most tx fishermen it would be banned from tournaments.

• Like 1