CB

country

I throw all small cranks except the shad rap #5 on a bait caster but u have to use the right set up. I found an older browning rod 7ft medium action I believe. And I use a lew's bait caster with 8 to 10lb line depending on which line it is. , and it will cast pretty far for a little bait.

some real light stuff, like #5 shad raps and bandit 100's are easier to throw on spinning rod/reels. I been using 8lb. mono for this type of fishing but I been thinking about trying nanofil. for all other crankbaits I use a baitcasting rod/reel with 10lb. fluorocarbon.  using too stiff of a baitcasting rod while trying to cast light weight crankbaits is an exercise in futility.

Edited by GlitterRocket

I throw the # 5 shad raps on Revo Orra S spinning reels. Anything heavier you can throw on a good Revo baitcaster. The BPS Crankin sticks are good rods. I use 8 to 14 pd. test mono on all my reels. IMO fluorocarbon would not have enough give when throwing cranks.

I got some of the orra s spinning reels and they are sweet, very smooth drag

I throw the # 5 shad raps on Revo Orra S spinning reels. Anything heavier you can throw on a good Revo baitcaster. The BPS Crankin sticks are good rods. I use 8 to 14 pd. test mono on all my reels. IMO fluorocarbon would not have enough give when throwing cranks.

i bought a BPS Cranking Stick this year and really like the way it loads up when you get a strike. throw smaller cb's on spinning set up with 8lb mono. use mostly P-Line on the baitcaster, 10-14 depending on what i am going to throw

I have went to almost all floro on baitcast tackle except topwater...either 10 or 12 lb test for cranking (I have found you can get away with a size heavier floro when cranking as opposed to mono). I worried about floro not having enough give, but I get an extra foot or 18 inches on the dive on a long cast out of it, and I use really soft, slow G-Loomis blanks for cranking, and I have not had any trouble. Kind of off topic, but floro has dramatically upped the number of bites I get on jerkbaits...

IMO, the only reason spinning rods are made is for Shad Raps, SH60 Yo-Zuris, occasionally grubs, and especially hair jigs. I started to throw a dropshot in there, but I rarely get that desperate anymore haha. I use a really limp 6 lb mono for cranking on a spinning rod, and either 6 lb floro (1/8 hair jigs) or 8 lb floro (1/4 hair jigs, grubs) for the other stuff.

IMO, the only reason spinning rods are made is for Shad Raps, SH60 Yo-Zuris, occasionally grubs, and especially hair jigs.

Unless you are me and throw a baitcaster with no accuracy, range, or confidence. Most people will probably disagree but I can use a spinning setup for almost all situations, except for the rig and those monster deep diving cranks. I think I just need more time with one in my hands to get the feel and adjustments down, but im too inpatient.

I guess I am the odd man out here. I love to crank but have never really found a reason to crank with a spinning reel. For one I hate them and two with the right setup you can throw almost anything with a baitcaster. Now granted it isn't the same baitcaster for everything but it can be done. As for a set up the question is really too broad. I have several different setups depending on what I am throwing and how I am going to fish it. I use everything from 80lb braid down to 6lb floro and every gear ratio from 4.9 to 7.3 and rods from a 7'11" MH fiberglass/graphite composite cranking rod to a 6'3" M graphite. Now my favorite setup is a 7.3 Zillion on a 6'10" MH xFast rod spooled with 12 CXX P-Line and a squarebill tied on the end. In the spring and fall when the fish have gone about as shallow as they can get nothing beats burning a crank through the rocks, banging the bottom like a jackhammer and having a 6lber latch on in 12" of water. This makes for a great fight and some out of the water acrobatics that are priceless but I like the shallow water stuff. Just ask anybody who has ever been in a boat with me. If I'm not stirring up mud with my trolling motor I haven't made it to my fishing spot yet.

• Like 1

I never will forget my first tournament I ever fished. I showed up to fish with this old man, and I only had 3 spinning reels with me. I can still see him laughing at me still to this day. He said boy when u really want to catch fish u will learn to use a baitcaster. I learned a lot from that old man. The funny thing is that we were fishing on lake Russell and I got lucky and caught big fish for the tourney on a spinning reel dragging a Carolina rig, and we won the tourney. Never underestimate the wimpy spinning reel

I would tend to agree here with MtCarmel actually, I used to have a set up I could throw really light cranks on but it wore out and I haven't had the $$$ to replace it, plus I'm kind of limited to 3 rods in a kayak so it's just easier to generalize my set ups to 2 baitcasters and a spinning. :lol:

Edited by TheBassWhisperer

Peck, all it takes is practice. Once you get used to them, baitcasting rods are much more comfortable, and don't wear you out like a spinning reel. A spinning rod and reel is simply overpowered by many baits, you don't have the winching power with them, and you get better hooksets with baitcasting tackle. Of course, that is just how I feel. I am sure others would argue for spinning for just about everything, but for me and the way I enjoy fishing, I have to have casting tackle.

Nothing like hearing that zing of a 5lb smallie pulling drag off a spinning rod with an 1/8 oz jig though.

To the topic, I have 3 main rods I crank with. A 7' fiberglass team diawa that I use for deep cranking with 10lb suffix pro-mix on it. A 7' castaway launcher that I use for medium crankbaits like series 3 strike kings I usually have 12 or 14 on this since I throw med divers around cover alot, and a 7'2" cranking carrot stick that I use for bandits, Spro little johns, and squarebills that has 12 on it right now. I have gone as low as 8lb if I'm trying to get a deep diver WAY down there. All of the above are baitcasters. Don't really crank with a spinning rod unless I'm in a situation where I need to make ridiculously long casts. And then I'll put my trusty little John on a 7'6" med-light berkley lightning rod shock and that thing will throw it a country mile.

I've been telling myself to leave my spinning reels at home to force me to put time in on my baitcasters, but I can't do it.

Peck that's what u have to do. Just take that one rod with u, and maybe even go with someone that is good with a baitcaster and force yourself to use it. Just like the old man told me many many years ago " if u really want to catch fish then u will learn to use one"

IMO....different set ups are like tools in a tool box. Ive got 8 or 10 different bait caster set ups in one rod box & 8 or 10 different spinning set ups in the other rod box. I have 1 main rule of thumb: if its 1/4 oz or larger, it goes on a caster. Less than 1/4 oz goes on a spinner. Exceptions to this rule are cranks. As I said before, only SR5 shad raps go on my spinning set ups. Shakeyhead, small jig, light t-rig, tube, senko and damiki/tightline are my common spinning set ups. Most crankbaits, spoons, heavier jigs & t-rigs, bama rig, single swimbait, c-rig and spinnerbait are common caster set ups.

One oddity I will tell on myself.....I cant throw a jerkbait or topwater on a caster. Just cant get the action I want out of it. Ive got a good spinning rig I throw jerkbait and most topwater stuff(torpedo, spook, etc) on.

Not to get off subject but this seems to have changed to a baitcasting vs spinning discussion. I throw all of my topwaters except buzzbaits and frogs on spinning with 10lb braid. You can cast a mile and the control you have walking the dog is unbelievable because of the braid having no stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO....different set ups are like tools in a tool box. Ive got 8 or 10 different bait caster set ups in one rod box & 8 or 10 different spinning set ups in the other rod box. I have 1 main rule of thumb: if its 1/4 oz or larger, it goes on a caster. Less than 1/4 oz goes on a spinner. Exceptions to this rule are cranks. As I said before, only SR5 shad raps go on my spinning set ups. Shakeyhead, small jig, light t-rig, tube, senko and damiki/tightline are my common spinning set ups. Most crankbaits, spoons, heavier jigs & t-rigs, bama rig, single swimbait, c-rig and spinnerbait are common caster set ups.

One oddity I will tell on myself.....I cant throw a jerkbait or topwater on a caster. Just cant get the action I want out of it. Ive got a good spinning rig I throw jerkbait and most topwater stuff(torpedo, spook, etc) on.

mm give me an example of what rod/reel you would use to throw a kvd 1.5 square bill cb