Bass Boat wiring project

bronzebackhuntr

Hey guys, as most of you know over the last 2 years I have had some off and on problems with the wiring on my boat.  The thought has crossed my mind to cut ties and just re-wire the entire thing when I undertake getting the leak fixed when the weather breaks.  Anyone ever taken on a project of this magnitude?  Any thoughts on where to start or where may be good to start looking for wiring kits to do this?  I have a lot of home remodeling and wiring experience and used to hook up car stereo systems, so I'm not exactly inexperienced at this type of work, but I've never even thought about taking on a project of this magnitude.

I have no problems at all with the engine wiring, it's all good, so the switches and electrical system that runs all the accessories is my biggest undertaking in this.

I am electrician and lighting tech by trade, it is all i have ever done, i would replace 1 wire at a time be sure to use a heavy enough wire to carry the load, use crimp terminals and check your switches with ohm meter with power off them, good luck and if I can give more advice or help give me a shout, always remember loose connections cause heat, heat causes failure in diff ways such as switch failure all the way to fire if source gets hot enough

Edited by country
  • Like 1

I'm a mechanic and I agree with everything country said. The only thing I would add is after you get your wires ran I would get some corrugated wire loom and bundle your wires in it and make nice neat wiring harnesses instead of having a bunch of individual wires.

• Like 1

All good comments here, country we have something in common, been in the trade 37years and counting.

Chris exactly what kind of problems are you having?, just asking to maybe save you some time and money.

A lot of problems can occur with something as simple as a loose ground wire, in a boat it is a common wire with everything.

Edited by Whopper

Well, it all started with my stern light going out about 3 years ago, but I got that fixed, then the bow light went out and I got it rewired.  Then I had a recirculating pump in my livewell that would just cut its self on for no apparent reason.  A couple months after that, when it would kick on by its self my front depthfinder would cut off when it cut on.  I just un hooked the wiring on that recirculation pump and that bandaided the problem for a while.  Now that depthfinder has a mind of it's own.  Works great some days and others will just randomly cut off and basically it may work for 9 hours or 2 mins, I don't ever know.  It is an older (95) model skeeter, so that's why I think I just need to rewire the whole thing.

bbh, i would rewire 1 thing at a time and start with what dont work as it should and keep moving on till I was satisfied, one of my buddys was fishing a thur nite rodeo on watauga and thought it sure was foggy but there was no fog it was his livewell smoking and it did catch on fire, he could have been hurt bad or even worse just because of some trashy wiring issues, believe it or not but some how went on to win that rodeo and he was fishing solo, again if you need help ask