Jump to content

Coolant system rework


MtCarmelBugMan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well as most of you that have fished with me know I am no stranger to running through trash slicks, shallow water, and just about anything else to find the shallow clear areas to fish. The bad news is I think it finally caught up with me. I have had a problem with my water pressure while at idle for a little while now. I thought I had figured it out by changing the water pump and all the O-rings and gaskets at the pump housing. That was not the case. After talking to a couple of mechanics and people on different boards I have decided to replace most of the moving parts in the coolant system. I was told more than likely I had sucked some debris up into the system and it was probably hung in the screen, poppet valve or thermostats. Instead of dealing with this one at a time I decided to replace all three at once. I ordered the parts today and should get them sometime next week. I will let you know what I find when I get into it and start replacing the parts. This may save you guys some time if it ever happens to you.

Edited by MtCarmelTriton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really not been that big of an issue. It only does it when I idle. When I am on plane I have almost 30lbs of water pressure which I have never had before this started that is why they think it is the poppet. I don't really idle anyway. Going that speed is the reason they put trolling motors on bass boats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shannon.....I just replaced the t-stats in my ProXS too. Apparently, New Years Day I sucked a chunk of wood the size of a toothpick all the way up into the t-stats. Only way I knew I had an issue was due to the temp read out on merc monitor. Would not warm up past 88 degrees. Thermostats only control water flow @ idle speeds. After you come on plane, poppet valve takes over temp & water flow control. You need to check out my merc monitor.....its a badd a$$ tool that gives a ton of info. Holler if you need help on any of this work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well as most of you that have fished with me know I am no stranger to running through trash slicks, shallow water, and just about anything else to find the shallow clear areas to fish. The bad news is I think it finally caught up with me. I have had a problem with my water pressure while at idle for a little while now. I thought I had figured it out by changing the water pump and all the O-rings and gaskets at the pump housing. That was not the case. After talking to a couple of mechanics and people on different boards I have decided to replace most of the moving parts in the coolant system. I was told more than likely I had sucked some debris up into the system and it was probably hung in the screen, poppet valve or thermostats. Instead of dealing with this one at a time I decided to replace all three at once. I ordered the parts today and should get them sometime next week. I will let you know what I find when I get into it and start replacing the parts. This may save you guys some time if it ever happens to you.

I think I have cursed ur boat .
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just curious MM & MCT what did it cost to replace your t stats, I replaced mine and they were 29 each, seems if it is related to a boat or motor well hold on as they are robbing you without a gun, a t stat for a truck is less than half that price and twice as big

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you think your tstats were costly hope you never get an optimax. Parts for them are outrageous. The tstats are $72 each if you get OEM parts. Everything seems to be more expensive with newer motors but a guy told me one time a boat is just a hole in the water you pour money through and everyone knows B.O.A.T. stand for break out another thousand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well the turtle wagon is back together. I wish I could have gotten some pics of what was in my coolant system. It looked like a squirrel was building a winter nest in there. I had sucked up so many leaves and pieces of wood it was amazing. I removed the strainer and looked in there and it was packed around it. Then when I took the T-stats out there was bits of wood there. I was kind of worried about how I was going to remove this stuff out of the system then decided I would stick a shopvac over the open holes where I had removed the parts. It worked like a charm. The system is wide open now with all new parts so I think I have cured the problem. I will let you know once I get a chance to water test it. If any of you guys like to fish in the shallows where the trash builds up be prepared to clean out the strainer and t-stats from time to time. Then again it could have just been the curse of the blindhawg on my boat. Only time will tell. It still amazes me that that stuff made it through the water pump without tearing the impeller apart.

Edited by MtCarmelTriton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...