Jig Pouring

steelecreek1

Well I finally bought a lead pot and a couple molds. Now i have a question where do you guys get your lead? I ordered some off ebay it hasnt come yet but it says it was pure lead for jig pouring we'll see :scratch: Also is there any important tips that you guys can give me for pouring? and what to use for a wire weed guard?

You want to get Pure Lead wherever you can. In the past, I have used wheel weights from the local tire store, but they are dirty! You have to keep cooking the lead and skimming until it cleans up and make sure you use a mask and have fresh air blowing. Always leave your leadpot full when you get done pouring. Before you unplug it, put a little peice of wax in the lead and let it seal the surface. It will smoke like a freight train, but it helps to keep the lead clean.

If you have smaller jig molds, you may want to heat up the mold with a little propane torch so the lead will fill the cavity. I've had to do this when I made some silver buddies so I would get a complete pour.

As for the weedguards. My buddy has used old guitar strings (the smaller ones) and just bent the end in an "L" shape and layed it with the hook in the jighead cavity. It isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. :headbang::cheers:

Hope this helps you get started out. :USA1:

I bought some of those little nonscented candles in the camping section at walmart. I'd say the parafin (spelling?) way may work also. Pretty much any nonscented candle wax will probably work. It doesn't take but a little peice to drop in the molten lead to do the job. I use about a peice about half the size of a dime to every 10 lbs of lead. Just my :2cents::)

my son in law gave me some molds and a melting pouring pot.its been years since i've poured anything.it helps to heat the molds.if they are steel or iron molds i took a regular candle and sooted the inside of the mold to make getting the jig out easier.the newer aluminum molds don't stick.i have been using some extra wheel weights i have , but like jon says it helps if they are clean. i'm in the process of modifying a mold to where i can pour a wide gap shakey head that has a moving-freefloating hook like an arky or larue jig head.

I get my lead from EBay, but I have also used wheel weights, old lead pipes, and fishing weights. The pure lead will pour a little better when it is mixed with one of the other kinds of lead. Also, do not get any water of any kind in the lead. If you do, it will look like a shotgun has went off where you are pouring.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally bought a lead pot and a couple molds. Now i have a question where do you guys get your lead? I ordered some off ebay it hasnt come yet but it says it was pure lead for jig pouring we'll see :scratch: Also is there any important tips that you guys can give me for pouring? and what to use for a wire weed guard?

go to a plumbing supply house and they can get all the pure lead you want.

• 3 months later...

If you know someone that works in the Radiology department at a hospital that is equipt with an MRI machine you might be able to talk them out of one of their old lead cubes. Take help when you go because one person cannot lift a cube and put it in a truck. I think they weigh between 80 and 100 pounds. I had some connections at St Thomas Hospital and got a buddy 4 cubes to make his jigs with and it is all pure lead. He spent the first month cutting and melting the lead down into lead ingots he made molds for so it would be easier to handle when he began making jigs. Finding and buying lead can be hard. Here recently it has gotten even harder since most Wheel Weight companies have began buying their old weights back from tire stores. Just might be an option if you know someone.

Archived