search baits?

alumacraft09

I have always heard to use a spinnerbait ,rattle trap, crankbait to find fish. Then use a lizard ,jig ,worm to clean up after finding them. My experince always was if you catch a fish on spinnerbait or crankbait more than likely that is what they are hitting moving baits that day an will not hit jigs or plastics to much on that day or the other way around. Have I always been wrong? what do you guys think? :mellow:

i agree with you. more often than not, if i start to catch them on a crank it is pretty much all i can catch them on. had days where only a jig or soft plastic would do. don't know if it is my imagination but there seems to be an overabundance of shad in cherokee since fall and most of my better fish have been on shad imitation rattletrap/jerkbait.

I agree with you. If you look at the Classic this year KVD changed from a spinnerbait the first day to a squarebill the last two days, both moving baits. I think that's why I didn't do good at Douglas during the site tournament. My last trip before that one was to Cherokee on March 12 and all I could catch fish on was a crankbait. When I got to Douglas I still had it in my mind that I was going to catch fish on the crankbait. By the last hour I was throwing a c-rig but it was to late. I usually keep one rod rigged with a search bait of some sort, one rigged with a t-rig plastic, and one rigged with a Senko or fluke. Then I just alternate between them according to structure and cover until something works then I use it until it stops working. I know my way is not very scientific but it's really the only way I know how to do it.

Fishing in FL we used to have the guy in the front of the boat use a spinner and then the guy in the rear come in with a worm. If they weren't very active the spinner would at least alert them that something was out there and get them watching. Worked great.

Supposedly, you locate the schools of fish with a ' seach bait ' & catch the most active fish on it. Then go over the area again with a slower moving bait totally opposite of what you were using & you can catch a few more. But if i start catching fish on something its hard for me to change. I am more likely to move to another similar looking area than change baits. :thumbsup2:

Archived